1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 1/2 week old chick wobbly and weak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CallieP, Feb 22, 2012.

1. CallieP

CallieP New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    I am going to try to make this long story short. I ordered five chicks that hatched two and a half weeks ago. One arrived dead and one died 2 days later at 5 days old. When I noticed the first chick acting strange, I started an antibiotic in their water. Despite that chick's death, I finished a week long course of the antibiotics in their water. I stopped the antibiotics 5 days ago. I was feeding the Manna Pro medicated chick starter until yesterday when I switched to a non medicated chick starter/grower. Today another chick (now 2 1/2 weeks old) started acting lethargic and wobbly like it can barely stand up. I find it hard to believe that it would be coccidiosis 5 days post a week long course of antibiotics and after having the medicated feed. I added Sav-a-chick to the water tonight, but it doesn't seem to have helped her. I slightly increased the temperature under the lamp to see if that would help, but I don't have much hope. The progression of the first chick that died is exactly the same as the path this poor chick is on. I use pine shavings, which I started after a week of solid eating and their area is fresh and is thoroughly cleaned frequently.

I really don't know what to do at this point. I thought we were out of the woods after making it a week and a half after the first death. It just doesn't make sense. Please help me save this chick's life.

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    Don't feel bad cuz it happens. i ordered 4 chicks one died after 4 days and 1 at 3 weeks. Then i had one that wouldn't move so i seperated her and gave her scrambled eggs and chic saver water. I assumed she wouldn't make it but now but now shes 16 weeks old and doing great. i think my brooder was too small and she was getting picked on. So don't give up.

3. jthurmann

jthurmann New Egg

Jun 10, 2012
    I think the same is happening to our 4-week old chic. What happened to yours? Did it live?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by