1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 1/2 week olds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by homecatmom, Aug 13, 2007.

1. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have four 2 1/2 week old chicks. Today I must go to the pet store and get the snakes weekly meal. I was thinking of getting the babies some tiny grasshoppers. Is this a bad idea since they are so young? Thanks.

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Naw, they'll love it. And you'll be amused watching them chase the grasshoppers around. But bear in mind that some chickens without a mommy don't know what to do with a bug at first. They'll learn!

3. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I just gave the 4 little ones 6 crickets. I have learned some valuable lessons. The first being that they should not be in an enclosed area when you introduce live food that tries to escape. You also learn which chick is going to be the "top lady". In my pen it happens to be Lucy. She grabbed her cricket, ran to the corner, swallowed it and ran to the other corner and took the crickets away from Eleanor, Oprah and Tina! I think Lucy is the only one that got a whole cricket. The other girls got maybe a nibble. No problem these girls figuring out what to do with those jumping things...

4. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    From xp,id say just keep them on there feed for now.They will have plenty of time getting treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by