$2.25 Per Bird for Processing??

When someone "processes" the birds for you do they pluck the feathers too? Sorry if this is a stupid question......just didn't know.

If you need to find a processor, you could try asking at your feed store or post an ad in Craigslist farm & garden section. Or ask someone who sells meat at your farmers' market.

PS. In Vermont there is also a local farming network organization that offers classes in how to do it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, whole nine yards -- kill, pluck, eviscerate, dispose of guts and other bits, chill and plastic wrap the birds -- freezing is usually extra charge though.

It costs more than $2.25 around here... I am not sure this year's rates but I guess I will find out, since I think I may not do all mine myself this year (at least not the spring batch which will need to be processed during fly season and I have nowhere screened-in to do it)

Pat

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, whole nine yards -- kill, pluck, eviscerate, dispose of guts and other bits, chill and plastic wrap the birds -- freezing is usually extra charge though.

It costs more than $2.25 around here... I am not sure this year's rates but I guess I will find out, since I think I may not do all mine myself this year (at least not the spring batch which will need to be processed during fly season and I have nowhere screened-in to do it)

Pat

Oh Yeah!!!! That is awesome. Now I need to find someone where we are moving to do it!!!!!! I so don't want to do all that plucking...I'm lazy like that!

We pay $1.50 a bird. That's for processing and thorough cleaning. They are then stored in ice cold water and we pick them up that way. So, that night we package and freeze the birds as we like. It's great - we leave some whole and the others we cut and package how we'll use them throughout the year.

Last year we raised 18. This year, it's 48. But, that's because some family has requested 'in' on the chickens.

Our problem was finding chicken crates. I can't find any with a decent price. I refuse to spend $60 a piece on plastic. So, through a local craigslist we found someone to custom build them - 3 for $60. And, well built, too.

Quote:
In my area, IF you can find someone to do it, it's anywhere from $2.50 -$3.00 a bird.

I'd do it if I could find the customers to do it-- then I could justify buying some equipment for processing!!!!!!

i had an amish woman do mine for me and she charged 55 cents a piece, i gave her a dollar and she thought she was cheating me, i told her she was helping me, i had 15 roosters done and they came back immaculate

I need to find a processer in Middle Tn. Anybody know any? I love to have birds in the freezer but its getting harder every year to get Hubby on board.

We have a hard time killing our birds, but the roosters need to be culled so we take them to a friendly processor who will only take fresh eggs for the service! What a great guy, we'd easily pay $10 to not have to do the dirty work ourselves (yes, I've done it before.) We joke that the hens are paying to get the roo's off their backs.

By the way.. there is no comparison with store bought chicken and home grown chicken - I can't believe the difference. Even roosters that are a year old taste better than that poor tortured mass farm poultry. Then again, ours eat very well and get the run of the yard!

Back
Top Bottom