2-3 week old chick suddenly can't walk? Help!

Hmmm... I've read about mold poisoning? Anyone had any experience with this?
HI,
I do not have a lot to offer..............but wanted to ask if the food is wet, that may help her swallow...................
Also, don't know how much vitamins you are giving.. three drops a day is the usual dosage...........
I have not had mold poisoning. She could be propped up with a towel on each side.Don't know her size??????????
If tiny, a wash cloth shaped like a donut with her in the middle may do it..........
Good Luck...
fl.gif

Botulism is another cause for neurological symptoms. It can be caused by eating decaying carcasses, maggots, plant waste, and mud from ponds. Antibiotics and selenium are treatments. With your vitamin mixture of PolyVisol, I would add a capsule of vitamin E since there is just a small amount of E in the container, and I would get some selenium, and scratch off a bit and add to her supplement daily. Your chicken sounds like she is suffering from wry neck, another neurological symptom that responds to vitamins. Your chick seems a bit young for Maraks disease symptoms so maybe you will see an improvement soon. Here is a link to a great site for wry neck: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

Thanks! I should add that her head no longer is displaying wry neck symptoms, but she still can't walk. :( we give her half a dropper (5 milliliters) and we put the same amount in her water. We have put her in a sling to help her out, as well.

We have started giving her selenium and vitamin E, but I'm uncertain as to how much to give her and how many times a day.

Last edited:
The selenium scares me a tad :( I'm afraid to give her too little or too much. I crushed up one of the tablets with a spoon into a fine powder and then put my finger in it. I then dipped my finger into her water. I did this two or three times. She took a few sips of it and seems to fine a few hours later but I'm not sure. I think I may dump the remander of the water out and try a smaller amount tomorrow. Yesterday I took two pieces of the tablet (each about the size of chick crumble feed) and threw that in for her to eat along with her vitamin E. I did not give her vitamin E today as it hasn't been a complete day yet, but I gave her the selenium not knowing that it goes along with the vitamin :(

Back
Top Bottom