2-3 wk old ducklings outside or inside?

tanaschicks

In the Brooder
May 25, 2021
When can you let ducklings roam around on the ground in a contained area? Right now they are in a tub with bedding, inside my house and as you all know I’m sure, they stink :) wondering if I can make them their own coop inside my chicken coop, separated from the other chickens of course.

or! I have two boy ducks (over a year old) in their own coop, are both ducks aggressive towards babies?

I only have experience with ducklings, not chickens, but we had our ducklings feel the grass on their feet and smell the fresh air as early as 2 weeks. The thing to be concerned about at that age are any predators (hawks, cats, etc.). Until they are adult size, I would not leave them alone for extended amounts of time. Dog presence does help reduce the number of predators that I have.
Additionally, I have my younger ducklings living in coop within a coop until they are sexually mature and can handle themselves around my drake.
I would just make sure that the coop inside the coop is secure and that the weather does not get too cold at night. I know the smell of having ducks in your bath tub! 🤢

When can you let ducklings roam around on the ground in a contained area? Right now they are in a tub with bedding, inside my house and as you all know I’m sure, they stink :) wondering if I can make them their own coop inside my chicken coop, separated from the other chickens of course.

or! I have two boy ducks (over a year old) in their own coop, are both ducks aggressive towards babies?
What did you decide to do and how did it work out? I just purchased 6 ducklings that are 1 week old. I have 6 older ducks but I kinda inherited them, so I am new to this. Can you just keep the ducklings in a barn with a heat lamp or is that still too cold. Evenings here are in the 60's sometimes 50's.

What did you decide to do and how did it work out? I just purchased 6 ducklings that are 1 week old. I have 6 older ducks but I kinda inherited them, so I am new to this. Can you just keep the ducklings in a barn with a heat lamp or is that still too cold. Evenings here are in the 60's sometimes 50's.
Keep your older ducks separate from your new ducklings, especially any drakes, as during this time of year they are aggressive.
A barn with a heat lamp is fine, and they should be able to handle those temps in about a month with the heat lamp. They should also have room to get out from under the heat if they want. Just make sure you check on them and see if they are constantly under the lamp, or panting, etc.
Ducks are great, welcome!

I only have experience with ducklings, not chickens, but we had our ducklings feel the grass on their feet and smell the fresh air as early as 2 weeks. The thing to be concerned about at that age are any predators (hawks, cats, etc.). Until they are adult size, I would not leave them alone for extended amounts of time. Dog presence does help reduce the number of predators that I have.
Additionally, I have my younger ducklings living in coop within a coop until they are sexually mature and can handle themselves around my drake.
I would just make sure that the coop inside the coop is secure and that the weather does not get too cold at night. I know the smell of having ducks in your bath tub! 🤢
Awesome news! What is too cold at night?

Ducks can take cooler temps better than chicks can. What are your temps right now?
If they have a secure area with shelter, I would have them out during the day just to get acclimated and then little by little let them stay out longer - pretty soon there won't be any questioning of whether or not they can stay outside. 😊

Awesome news! What is too cold at night?
Ducklings do not take heat well, so be sure not to overheat them. They like a temperature of 90-92 degrees for the first 3 days, then 85-90 degrees for days 4 to 7. Thereafter, drop the temperature by approximately 5 degrees per week until they are fully feathered. They must always be able to get away from the heat.
Just providing a heat lamp at night where they can keep warm would be nice.
As an example, I live in Ohio and the lowest our temps got was in the 50s recently over the early summer, and I provided a heat lamp, but room to move away. Now in the dog days of summer, I do not turn on the heat lamp at night, and the lowest it gets is low 70s. They are also much closer to full feathered than earlier this year.
I would air on the side of too warm, then if they are panting/never under the heat, raise the heat lamp slowly and see what they do and go from there.
It is very important to monitor them often while they are still growing.

Back
Top Bottom