2-3week old chicks - is this coccoidosis?

Danidd

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
We’ve had chicks for 2 to 3 weeks, but hatched naturally. They’re isolated from the rest of the flock along with their mother. Yesterday we noticed a baby chicken poop that is blood streaked, see attached photo. We switch from organic grower feed to medicated feed. Another poop today similar.
We just bought new bedding and are going to clean it their space out and put in fresh bedding. Any suggestions or ideas on what else can or should be done? Should I also seek to treat w liquid corid in waterer?
None are acting I’ll or have pale combs. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_9385.jpeg
    IMG_9385.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9384.jpeg
    IMG_9384.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 15
Ok. Do they sell it for chicks, all I could find was for cows and goats. Which I would assume is too strong?

Is there a dosage for the cattle version of corid? It’s all they have in stock here
I would take them off the medicated feed you just switched them to if you're treating with Corid. If you don't have any vitamins for their water yet, I'd pick up some Poultry Cell too, or something along that type, and after you are done with Corid, give them the vitamins in water for a few days. You could go back to the medicated feed after that, but then should really do the whole thing over and retreat them per the instruction sheet I posted.

Corid is a cattle medicine, and comes in 9.6% liquid and 20% powder. Don’t give vitamins with Corid, wait till finished. Medicated feed has very little of the same medicine that Corid contains (amprollium,) so there is no need to stop the medicated feed. But medicated feed does not treat an outbreak. Give the maximum Corid dose of 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder in each gallon of water for 5-7 days. They will eventually build up a resistance to coccidia that occurs in the soil and their poop as they are gradually exposed to soil.

Back
Top Bottom