2-4 week old Cornish chick cannot walk

sadboi

Hatching
Apr 30, 2022
okay so a little back story, my friend works at tractor supply and they just throw the sick chicks in the trash after they die and dont really do anything to help them, so between me and her we take them home and help them the best we can.

anyways, today she called me and said she had a 2-4 week old cornish chick that possibly had a broken leg, once she got it to me its very obvious its leg isnt broken, no swelling itll let me move it ect. but it cannot stand. its holding its leg back behind it sticking it straight out.

i tried to do a splint but i believe it may be a hip problem. since ive gotten it, he/she has not eaten or drank anything. its currently freaking out in the brooder flipping over on its back ect.

its vent is also open? like its using the restroom but not alot and constant. i tried giving it a little sugar water but it just spit it out.

i really dont want to cull but i dont know what else to do,

okay so a little back story, my friend works at tractor supply and they just throw the sick chicks in the trash after they die and dont really do anything to help them, so between me and her we take them home and help them the best we can.

anyways, today she called me and said she had a 2-4 week old cornish chick that possibly had a broken leg, once she got it to me its very obvious its leg isnt broken, no swelling itll let me move it ect. but it cannot stand. its holding its leg back behind it sticking it straight out.

i tried to do a splint but i believe it may be a hip problem. since ive gotten it, he/she has not eaten or drank anything. its currently freaking out in the brooder flipping over on its back ect.

its vent is also open? like its using the restroom but not alot and constant. i tried giving it a little sugar water but it just spit it out.

Welcome to BYC

Can you please get some photos of the chick?

What do you mean it's vent is open? Is it the vent or it's navel?

Without seeing it, it sounds like the chick may have a leg bone deformity if it's sticking out straight behind. Possibly a slipped tendon.
A leg bone deformity generally cannot be corrected. A slipped tendon is very difficulty to correct even in a healthy thriving chick.

Flipping over, leaking, not able to eat/drink, something wrong with the leg...it may be better to put the little one out of it's misery, but if you wish, do post some photos and we'll take a look to see if any suggestions can be made.

Is it a regular Cornish chick or a Cornish X meat bird?

Welcome to BYC

Can you please get some photos of the chick?

What do you mean it's vent is open? Is it the vent or it's navel?

Without seeing it, it sounds like the chick may have a leg bone deformity if it's sticking out straight behind. Possibly a slipped tendon.
A leg bone deformity generally cannot be corrected. A slipped tendon is very difficulty to correct even in a healthy thriving chick.

Flipping over, leaking, not able to eat/drink, something wrong with the leg...it may be better to put the little one out of it's misery, but if you wish, do post some photos and we'll take a look to see if any suggestions can be made.
i dont want to sound harsh, but how could i humanely put him down? i dont think i could without crying, tbh.

Back
Top Bottom