2.5 month old blue andalusian rooster(s) - Ramona, CA

mle022

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
CA
I have one, maybe two depending on the outcome of a guess the sex thread, blue andalusian roosters that I will need to rehome. My neighbor's will really dislike me if I keep them and one is starting to crow. :)

He's very pretty, and not very flighty at all. I can walk up to him and pick him up with no problems. I handled him a lot when he was younger. He's pretty good at being nice to the girls, not overly protective at all. I would love to keep him, but I just can't. Hopefully someone on here can give him a good home. :)

Here's the other blue andalusian, the thread thinks it's a rooster as well, so I will have to rehome them both. :(

I'd continue to keep an eye on your birds for a while longer. I had a blue andalusian hen myself, and she looked just like the bird in your first picture. They have naturally large wattles and long tails. Of course, if she/he starts crowing and is too loud, that's a pretty good cue to get rid of them anyway, but don't be so quick to assume otherwise. My hen had a bigger, redder comb than your birds, and neither of your birds appear to be growing any sorts of saddle feathers, which would be a good indicator that they're roos.

Andalusians are one of those flightier breeds that also tend to be on the loud side, so if they cause too much noise, you may want to rehome them anyway, but give them a bit. How old are they, by the way? I can't see any pointed saddle feathers or spurs on them in your photos.

When your birds get old enough, they should start growing some very distinctive rooster feathers, plus spurs. See here:
Andalusian_Blue_chicken_(male).jpg

Whereas the hens look naturally like an underdeveloped rooster:
LL

I hope that helps. I'd hate for you to give away your birds only for them to be hens!

Thank you for that post! That is very encouraging for the second bird. I have been suspicious that the second pic may not be a roo, but I can't tell yet.

But the first one is for sure a roo, because it is starting to crow (pretty loudly too, for a first time). So I do need to at least re-home the first one. :( They are about 2.5 months old. Stinks because they had a rough start in life after a bad shipment, so I handled them a lot as chicks. The confirmed roo will let me walk up to him and just pick him up. He seems to like affection.
smile.png

I'm going to try a no crow collar until I can find him a new home though, so hopefully that helps me buy some time to find him a good home.

Aww, that's so sad and sweet at the same time. I remember how sweet my roosters were when they were young. I swear, they were about a thousand times nicer than the hens - I miss it a lot.

It's definitely hard to give up the ones your raise yourself; I've been there. I hope you find the best possible home for the little guy. If I wasn't on the other side of the continent I'd offer myself, but that's just how things go, I guess. :)

Aww, that's so sad and sweet at the same time. I remember how sweet my roosters were when they were young. I swear, they were about a thousand times nicer than the hens - I miss it a lot.

It's definitely hard to give up the ones your raise yourself; I've been there. I hope you find the best possible home for the little guy. If I wasn't on the other side of the continent I'd offer myself, but that's just how things go, I guess. :)

Aww thanks! :) I appreciate your help and words.
hugs.gif

Thank you for that post! That is very encouraging for the second bird. I have been suspicious that the second pic may not be a roo, but I can't tell yet.

But the first one is for sure a roo, because it is starting to crow (pretty loudly too, for a first time). So I do need to at least re-home the first one. :( They are about 2.5 months old. Stinks because they had a rough start in life after a bad shipment, so I handled them a lot as chicks. The confirmed roo will let me walk up to him and just pick him up. He seems to like affection.
smile.png

I'm going to try a no crow collar until I can find him a new home though, so hopefully that helps me buy some time to find him a good home.

Did your second bird end up a Roo or Pullet I have one that looks very similar

I'd continue to keep an eye on your birds for a while longer. I had a blue andalusian hen myself, and she looked just like the bird in your first picture. They have naturally large wattles and long tails. Of course, if she/he starts crowing and is too loud, that's a pretty good cue to get rid of them anyway, but don't be so quick to assume otherwise. My hen had a bigger, redder comb than your birds, and neither of your birds appear to be growing any sorts of saddle feathers, which would be a good indicator that they're roos.

Andalusians are one of those flightier breeds that also tend to be on the loud side, so if they cause too much noise, you may want to rehome them anyway, but give them a bit. How old are they, by the way? I can't see any pointed saddle feathers or spurs on them in your photos.

When your birds get old enough, they should start growing some very distinctive rooster feathers, plus spurs. See here:
Andalusian_Blue_chicken_(male).jpg

Whereas the hens look naturally like an underdeveloped rooster:
LL

I hope that helps. I'd hate for you to give away your birds only for them to be hens!
I agree with you. I thought one of 4 of our blues was a roo but turned out to be a hen. She has a bigger comb and was darker in color than the rest. They all eventually got large combs but she did much sooner.

Back
Top Bottom