2.5 week old buffs? Cockrels or Hens?

beagle74

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2023
I bought these from TSC on 3/31/23, so I think they're 2 weeks old, but are told they're usually a couple days when they get to the store. These are unsexed, and I've been trying to figure it out. I was told they are Buff Orpingtons, but I don't know which kind. So, can anyone give me any help? Here are a couple pictures taken today. A couple of them are growing faster than the others though I bought them at the same time/age.
buffs 1.14.23a.jpg
buffs 1.14.23b.jpg

Sorry none of them are Buff Orpingtons.
Looks like you have 3 different breeds and they're too young to sex.

Can you give me an idea of what breeds they are and why they would not be buffs? I'm just trying to learn :)

Can you give me an idea of what breeds they are and why they would not be buffs? I'm just trying to learn :)
These are Buffs. Orange color. The darker and white/lavender ones are Ameraucanas.

Attachments

• FE83D405-322D-4391-9E54-A35FE6547E0F.jpeg
    FE83D405-322D-4391-9E54-A35FE6547E0F.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 22E28F4E-7154-4CEB-9851-C4D65DF9F870.jpeg
    22E28F4E-7154-4CEB-9851-C4D65DF9F870.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 4
So no buff has lines down it's back or eye liner? But, the one on the top right without the lines- what do you think it could be?

I bought these from TSC on 3/31/23, so I think they're 2 weeks old, but are told they're usually a couple days when they get to the store. These are unsexed, and I've been trying to figure it out. I was told they are Buff Orpingtons, but I don't know which kind. So, can anyone give me any help? Here are a couple pictures taken today. A couple of them are growing faster than the others though I bought them at the same time/age.View attachment 3467643View attachment 3467644
M
So no buff has lines down it's back or eye liner? But, the one on the top right without the lines- what do you think it could be?
Not that I ever seen. Only mixed breeds.
The other one could be a Longhorn. The ones with the lines could be Partridges mixes.

Not that I ever seen. Only mixed breeds.
The other one could be a Longhorn. The ones with the lines could be Partridges mixes.
Do you mean Leghorn? And Partridge Rocks or? Several breeds come in the partridge color variety. Partridge alone is not a breed.

Buff is the color variety, not the breed. Orpington is the breed. These don’t appear to be either. And you don’t include buff in the name of other color varieties cause it’s its own thing. Just FYI.

The three with the really defined dark head stripe could be Brown Leghorn or Welsummer- especially with the single comb. Chipmunk chicks are often Easter Eggers (you'll see them referred to as EEs here) but they typically have pea combs or tufts and these don't appear to have either. The one on the far left is already getting quite a little comb- so would be on my watch for a cockerel.

The one standing with its back to the camera is hiding its comb- and the head stripe is lighter/fuzzy so you may have another variety there. Easter Egger, Bielefelder are potentials...

And honestly, no idea on the red chick. At first I thought it was a small turkey poult because of its wing position and head shape/eye set- but zooming in I could see a single comb. Honestly stumped on that one!

@Rhodebar Lover @Overo Mare are amazing at IDing chicks- hopefully they're around on a Friday!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom