2 Ages of Ducks..What to Feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NYRIR, Jul 3, 2010.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    HI...I have mallards that are 10 weeks or so old..and cayugas that are only 2 weeks old. I have to put them in the pen together during the day and am so confused as to what to feed them. I have the grower feed for the mallards (and my 3 month old chickens) but think the cayugas still need the chick starter( Dumor, Unmedicated) . I also give them treats but want to be sure the ducklings are getting enough protein and the mallards don't get too much. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Bryanccfshr

Bryanccfshr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2010
    Farmington , NM
    I had a similar situation with my mixed flock of Pekins and runners, the pekins were 12 weeks older than the runners when I mixed them. I chose a 20% mash mixed with a 10% grain scratch. I mixed it at a 17% protien rate and they all get lots of vegtable trimmings and alfalfa hay to supplement their diet that included black ants, lizards, flies and other little bugs.

I kept the runners in their own night pen and hous and hung a light over a water dish at night. They got alot of bugs for the first fews weeks, both for protien and for niacin.

They are all doing great with the runners being5 or 6 weeks old(i am terrible I forgot!) and the pekins being quite mature and finally accepting the two runners as flock mates.

3. ilovemuscovy

ilovemuscovy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i never use any chick starter or any of that
    i get poultry scratch and grind it up in a coffee grinder and make it into powder.. add a little water and give it to the really young ducklings. sometimes i even cook it. add a few finely chopped leftover fruits/vegetables here and there.. they will be fine

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I use Flock Raiser mixed with about 25% oats as the basis for my duck's diet until they are laying age. To this I add various things including Brewer's yeast, sometimes Alfalfa meal, fresh greens, etc... (we vary it a little all the time, but the main staple of the diet is the Flock Raiser). I have raised now a couple hundred ducklings on this and they have done great for the most part.

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Ok...so if I mixed the younger feed and older feed like 50/50,would that work? I also have cracked corn that my spoiled chickens won't touch. They prefer birdseed,thank you! [​IMG] I also give romaine and tomatoes a lot...some strawberries,peas,they don't seem to care for seeds much.I give them clover (I have an over abundance of that! ) dandelion greens and weeds and grass.They also chewed a bit on a corn cob we threw in after a BBQ.That seems to keep them busy for a bit!

6. Flying_Beaver

Flying_Beaver New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    I have also thought of this problem occurring when I begin raising ducks (have to make a pen first). I was wondering if I would feed the ducklings separately than the adults or if I would throw in all the same feed for both.

7. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I use Flock Raiser and I've been very happy with it. In the flyer that I got with my ducklings from Holderread's they recommended using Flock Raiser if you couldn't get duck starter. As the ducklings get older I add a little Stratch with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by