2 Aggressive Seramas biting and pecking family

heidiAnnP

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2020
I have 2 serama's that are 2 mos old (one appears to be a male and 1 female), they have been hand raised and live in our home since we hatched them. At the beginning they were sweet and docile, loved to be held and would jump up on your hand with no issues. I spent a numerous amount of time holding them and taming them. In the past 2 weeks they both have begun to attack bare feet (they will chase you and try to bite and not let go) as well as biting and pecking your hands. They scream if you pick them up and will fly out of your hands. I am really unsure what is sparking such aggressive and odd behavior, I did read about other serama's in the threads that had some of the same issues but need some type of solution. The 2 serama's are around 4 dogs (the dogs are not aggressive toward them) and do not attack the dogs (just us humans). I would put them outside but we have a large flock of hens that will likely bully them and they would likely jump over our fence to their death with our neighbors dogs next door. Any ideas?

They are probaly both cockerels.
What sparked it, was the holding, petting and coddling. Chicks that are 'friendly' and 'cuddly' or what people mistake for that, are actually bold and fearless. They get too comfortable and lose all respect for you. Hormones hit, and whammo, you have holy terrors.
'Handraising' chicks can have its down side, until you can tell the genders, give them minimal hands on attention, once you can tell, treat the girls like pets and the cockerels like livestock and ignore them.
You can try to train it out of them, might be hard since they are so small and quick or rehome them but no one will want such an aggressive rooster.

The aggression may probably related to the need to establish a pecking order (on top of puberty and boredom). It's recommended to have at least 3 of any social animal. They may be bonding so closely to each other that you are now bottom chicken.

At that age, I'd honestly be moving them out to a hutch where they can hear/see other chickens but still be safe.

I would put them outside but we have a large flock of hens that will likely bully them and they would likely jump over our fence to their death with our neighbors dogs next door. Any ideas?
Make them their own cop and covered run.

They are probaly both cockerels.
That was my first thought.
@heidiAnnP can you post some pics showing their combs?

You are likely all right, they both may be males, although only one crows while the other one (when it heard my other chickens) started singing the egg song! I have attempted to show I am top chicken by stomping my feet when they look as if they are ready to attack me, but it still has not stopped them. I don't want to get overly assertive with them and cause them to be terrified of humans either. I suppose they are going outside soon!

You are likely all right, they both may be males, although only one crows while the other one (when it heard my other chickens) started singing the egg song! I have attempted to show I am top chicken by stomping my feet when they look as if they are ready to attack me, but it still has not stopped them. I don't want to get overly assertive with them and cause them to be terrified of humans either. I suppose they are going outside soon!
Stomping your feet won't do anything, you can try holding him down or picking them up or even use a squirt bottle.

Squirt bottle is brilliant! I will try that today and see if it helps!

My Grandpa had a mean rooster that would peck me when I was little, I remember him picking it up by his feet and allowing it to hang upside down for a moment or so. I was not sure if this worked or not. Probably not, as one day he pecked me and drew blood, needless to say my Grandmother made me chicken and dumplings for dinner that night (that rooster was the main course)

Back
Top Bottom