2 Americauna chicks?

The photo is too small to see. If they came from a farm store, via a hatchery, what you think is a silver Ameraucana is an EE, I'd be about 99.99 % sure of that.
This. It may look similar, but if you educate yourself you'll be able to see the difference. And once you know the difference, it's really not right to continue to sell them as Ameraucanas, if you do breed him.

Well they are ameraucanas whatever anyone thinks, I did my research on the breed and have watched and compared their look, coloring, & etc. to the American poultry association standard for the breed from chick to juvenile to adult and they are exactly spot on. I did not buy them on a whim, I know what breeds I have, what illnesses they are prone to how to prevent and how to treat. As I said I did research on the breed and know what I have but it doesn't matter because too many people have been burned by hatcheries giving misinformation on what they are actually selling and I have noticed that anyone that says they have a genuine ameraucana everyone will say oh no it's an EE mixed breed, so it's whatever. Everyone has their own opinion and it's fine with me. No biggie but I just don't like someone thinking I haven't done my research and am just talking out of my butt or something.

Well they are ameraucanas whatever anyone thinks, I did my research on the breed and have watched and compared their look, coloring, & etc. to the American poultry association standard for the breed from chick to juvenile to adult and they are exactly spot on. I did not buy them on a whim, I know what breeds I have, what illnesses they are prone to how to prevent and how to treat. As I said I did research on the breed and know what I have but it doesn't matter because too many people have been burned by hatcheries giving misinformation on what they are actually selling and I have noticed that anyone that says they have a genuine ameraucana everyone will say oh no it's an EE mixed breed, so it's whatever. Everyone has their own opinion and it's fine with me. No biggie but I just don't like someone thinking I haven't done my research and am just talking out of my butt or something.
The hatcheries' false advertising is not your fault and the silvers are the hardest to tell as youngsters from the chipmunky EEs; it's very easy to tell other colors of Ameraucana as chicks and certainly as adults, you know by the color of the plumage, plus the leg color, as well as conformation, etc.

If you post a picture of this bird, we'll be able to tell you if he's a Silver Ameraucana or not. We'd actually love to see him and hope that he is !
smile.png

Last edited:
That is an incredibly small picture on my phone. But he looks like an EE rooster to me. Maybe some one will post a picture of a silver Ameraucan rooster for you.

Of course you could post a picture of him standing in sunlight and prove me completely wrong..........

Well this is the best picture I could get before I went to work, he's in his favorite tree.
It's a good enough picture ( for those who don't know, click on it and it enlarges). Unfortunately, he's not a Silver Ameraucana, but he is a pretty good looking Easter Egger rooster. From the official Ameraucana site, which has photos of all colors in adult male, female and chicks, here is a Silver Ameraucana rooster for you-notice the big coloring difference. The Silver has no red at all on it, other than the comb of course:

The link so you can study the other photos: http://ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html This is an invaluable source! Kudos to the folks who compiled all the photos for us to study!

Last edited:
Lol well I don't need to prove anything! It's not like I'm going to breed him either way. That pic looks exactly like my other roo but they both look black to me? Oh well there will always be a debate, all I'm doing is going to mix and breed my male who looks like that pic with my cuckoo maran and try to get some olive eggers. I've seen the silver pics on that site and he looks like the silver but it don't matter what anyone thinks he is he will always be my ameraucana boy, and will hang out with my other boy. The girl ameraucanas will have eye candy to look at, lol!! Just glad they started laying and I've got the prettiest blue eggs, so in love!!<3

Oooookay. The rooster in the tree is mostly white with a what looks like black beard and what seems to be reddish brown on tops of the wings. A Silver Ameraucana rooster has a black body with silver in hackles, saddles and wings. So, I see nothing even similar between the two males whatsoever. Would like some input from someone else, but I hope my eyes haven't gotten that bad!

You can breed him in your backyard flock to get more Easter Eggers or Olive Eggers, which are both fun for sure! You'll just be getting yourself in some hot water if you advertise his chicks as coming from a Silver Ameraucana, if you ever decide to go the route of selling hatching eggs or chicks. Nothing at all wrong with an Easter Egger rooster. I've made some myself by crossing my true BBS Ameraucana hens with my Barred Rock and Delaware roosters.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom