2 and a half week old mixed Araucana?

InterestingChickens

Free Ranging
Aug 19, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Hi,
I know it could be hard to tell if this is a pullet or a cockerel at this stage, but is this a mixed Araucana and if possible, what gender is it? Also do you think it is about 2 and a half weeks old? Thanks
20210308_181307.jpg

20210308_181413.jpg

It's very early to tell at this stage. At a month old I couldn't tell with my pure araucana (other than the partridge and wheaten ones as the boys get black on their chests). I think your one is more like a month old looking at how many proper feathers it has. It looks like it's going to be a really pretty colour.

It's very early to tell at this stage. At a month old I couldn't tell with my pure araucana (other than the partridge and wheaten ones as the boys get black on their chests). I think your one is more like a month old looking at how many proper feathers it has. It looks like it's going to be a really pretty colour.
Thanks I thought they looked a lot older, when were you able to tell with yours?

Last edited:
I was trying to remember for you. 🤣 I think it was by 8 weeks that I kinda had it figured out and definitely by 12 weeks. For some of them I was pretty sure they were cockerels by their attitudes. I liked the fact that I could tell with the partridge and wheaten colours a lot earlier, but I actually don't like the girls colour-wise that much now that they are all grown up. Personality wise they are a hoot though.

I was trying to remember for you. 🤣 I think it was by 8 weeks that I kinda had it figured out and definitely by 12 weeks. For some of them I was pretty sure they were cockerels by their attitudes. I liked the fact that I could tell with the partridge and wheaten colours a lot earlier, but I actually don't like the girls colour-wise that much now that they are all grown up. Personality wise they are a hoot though.
If they are pullets can their combs be a bit pink at this age?

Back
Top Bottom