2 babies in the same nest....Finally!!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I went to check on and feed my doves. All 3 pairs have been setting eggs. One pair in particular, the male is always off the nest to 'greet' me when I get to their cages. I guess he thinks he's going to starve to death if he doesn't have EXACTLY the seed that he wants. So when I got to the pen he was on the nest...not normal for him. I picked him up and saw 2 little babies under him!
love.gif
This pair has hatched 3 babies this year, 1 in one nest and 2 in another. The nest with 2 had one that was easily 3 or 4 days younger than the older one and so it died. These are both the same size so I'm pretty sure they'll be able to raise them both.
fl.gif

I'd been feeding them wild bird seed (milo, millet, wheat, black oil sunflowers, and cracked corn), but they were having terrible luck hatching their eggs. About 6 weeks or so ago I started giving them some of the chickens' layer crumbles and this seems to have helped a lot.

I also decided to check the 'eggs' from one of my other pairs, a pair that hasn't hatched any babies all year. I think the hen is old but I don't know for sure. I've only seen 3 eggs from that pair all year. Anyway, I checked their 'eggs' last night only to find that they had no eggs
sad.png
They did have 2 eggs when they started. But one of my pigeons had laid eggs in 2 separate nests, so they aren't sitting on one of the eggs. So now that pair has a pigeon egg, we'll see how they do with it. I don't think they'll be able to break it as easily, I just hope they hatch it
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom