2 Bantam Roosters and 3 Full Sized Hens

bubbleberry

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2013
I have two 4 month old bantam Cockerells (pekin mix) who are currently living separately from the rest of the flock where they can't see the hens.

I will be looking at introducing them within the next few weeks and the goal is to keep both of them so long as we have no major problems. My concern is springtime when they all start to get a bit crazy! I have 3 large hens and 7 ducks (runners, khakis and muscovys).

Will I struggle with this ratio? Or does it not matter as much as they are mini roos?

One is starting to side dance and is the bossier out of the two but hasn't shown any direct aggression towards me. The other is more timid and does bite me occasionally- I just keep handling him.

Curious to hear your thoughts as I haven't had roos before.

I can speak to the roo/hen ratio and 2 roosters with 3 hens will wind up with ragged hens and probably some rooster fights. I do know you don't want the male ducks near the hens too as if they try mate the hens they can kill them. I think @Jenbirdee could help with the rest of this though. ☺️

I’ve kept similar ratios with bantam roosters and bantams hens. It does depend on the roosters, but I would say it’s not guaranteed to fail or anything like that.

from what I read of others experiences, it’s not guaranteed to fail. However, I have one question of your seven ducks how many of them are drakes?

from what I read of others experiences, it’s not guaranteed to fail. However, I have one question of your seven ducks how many of them are drakes?

We have 3 drakes but will be rehoming one or two before spring as they are from this year's hatch. The drakes don't bother the hens at all- if anything they are a bit scared of them!

Will the roosters see them as a threat?

I can speak to the roo/hen ratio and 2 roosters with 3 hens will wind up with ragged hens and probably some rooster fights. I do know you don't want the male ducks near the hens too as if they try mate the hens they can kill them. I think @Jenbirdee could help with the rest of this though. ☺️
Thanks for your reply- this is what I was worried about and if it comes down to then I will find a new home for the roosters. The drakes aren't interested in the chickens at all and they're bottom of the pecking order bless them!

Back
Top Bottom