2 broodies and many questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jster, May 15, 2010.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    We're going to be chicken great grandparents! One of our first chickens, aptly named Mama, went broody 1.5 years ago, and hatched a few chicks, one of which we kept and named Baby. Mama's sibling, Brownie, recently decided to go broody, and a couple of days later Baby joined her in the nest box. They've been there over a week, definitely dedicated.

So...we're trying to figure out our best course of action. We've looked at getting eggs, but it seems hard to get variety if you want to stick with breeds...most backyard breeders only have a couple breeds, and ordering from multiple people gets expensive. We're now leaning a little more towards getting some chicks and introducing them to our broodies. With two broody hens, is this more likely to work? Would the broodies fight over the chicks? How can we make this work best?

And I haven't gotton a pick of them yet...but will try to. One is a red sex link and the other is a welsummer. Too cute all cuddled in together. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Most broodies just want to be a mama - I would get two distinctively different looking breeds and give one to one broody and the others to the other broody.

3. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Thanks debiraymond!

We ended up ordering some chicks today, kind of a mixed lot. Maybe when they get here we'll color sort them and give each broody her own color. I'm also wondering if we should move one of the broodies to a different spot? Right now they are both in our winter coop, and the other chickens have moved back into the summer coop, so they are secluded to themselves but share a space and a nestbox. Here's a pic, perhaps to inspire more comments/suggestions:

[​IMG]

4. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Great pic!

5. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    You gotta love the broody trance look! [​IMG] Beautiful girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by