1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 broodies in one nest?? how to handle?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, Jun 5, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had a silver ameraucana go broody, she chose the coop floor, corner to be exact. I already had a black ameraucana that has her own pen elsewhere that just hatched as this girl went broody so I left the silver there. I didn't have another pen. After about a week and a half my cuckoo maran decided she wanted to set with the silver so she took half the eggs and any new ones that were being laid by the other girls. These girls are brutal, I can't get near them. My black girl let me lift her up to see etc, move her in the middle of hatch, no issues. I got a glimpse yesterday and they are now hatching. All the other hens keep trying to check it out and these 2 are growling like crazy. I have no idea what to do as the black was my first broody that got over on me and I have so much going on I just let the others set. any suggestions on what to do???? thanks in advance

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    They'll leave the nest after 48 hours and raise the chicks together - I have a pair raising their group now! They sound like they'll be good, protective mammas.

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have 3 (1 EE & 2 Ameraucanas) that hatched and are raising 12 blue & splash Ameraucana chicks. The chicks are about 3 weeks old now and everyone is doing fine.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I would pull one of the hens and let remainder rear chicks. Less stress on chicks and brooding hen and likely increase survival rate of chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by