2 Broody Hens

Dee the Feather

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
Oxfordshire, England
Hi all, I have 2 broody hens - I've separated one from the flock already as the other hens were trying to get her off the nest etc, the other has stood her ground and is very comfy atmo in the pen with the others; but I will have to separate her off before the hatch I think as there's not enough safety for the chicks it's a big pen, the rooster might get a bit iffy and chicks could get lost. Unfortunately I think I'll have to take her right away from the flock for a bit as she seems to get very cross and come off her nest if she's just put in a little pen by them.

A couple of questions:-

1) How late on should I separate the broody and her eggs from the flock? I presume do it at night etc for minimum fuss?
2) After the chicks are hatched can I put her in the same pen with the other broody and her chicks? They'll be hatching a few days apart.

Any advice gratefully received! Thank you so much!

First off, Good luck hatching!!
1.) I think at night is a good idea..
2.) Please dont put the two broody's together. They will fight, kill each others chicks, etc.
Best for them to be apart.

I will have to separate her off before the hatch I think as there's not enough safety for the chicks it's a big pen, the rooster might get a bit iffy and chicks could get lost.
I do not separate my broodies from the flock for hatching or raising the chicks. My dominant roosters typically ignore the chicks or may help Mama with the chicks if she needs some help. After all they are his babies too. At least he assumes so even if he is not the biological father. They hatched in his flock. Most of the other hens ignore the chicks. If Mama thinks they are threatening her babies she whips butt so they wind up leaving the chicks alone.

As for the chicks getting lost, that's usually when the roosters help until Mama can get control again. But the chicks can get separated anywhere you put them if you are not very careful. In general the more room Mama has to work with the easer it is on her when they are with the rest of the flock.

But there might be something about your set-up where it makes it better to isolate a broody. We are all different so different things work.

Unfortunately I think I'll have to take her right away from the flock for a bit as she seems to get very cross and come off her nest if she's just put in a little pen by them.
This is a risk in moving her. She might not accept the move and break from being broody.

1) How late on should I separate the broody and her eggs from the flock? I presume do it at night etc for minimum fuss?
If you move her, prepare a pen she cannot get out of and none of the others can get in. It needs to be big enough for a nest, food, water, and not much more. A broody seems to have an instinct to not poop in her nest but that does not apply to her food and water. You may be cleaning that so give yourself access. I think it helps if that nest is pretty dark, that seems to calm them. You are right, move her and the eggs after it is pretty dark with as little light and commotion as you can.

This is one place a lost chick is bad. If you build that pen so a chick can escape away from the broody hen's protection that chick can be at risk. if Mama cannot get to it to protect it she can't protect it. Use wire with a small enough mesh a very young chick cannot get through. Don't leave holes under a fence and check your gates closely, those are often weak points.

Another general warning. After they hatch a chick sometimes crawls up under Mama's wings. I killed a chick once when I picked up a broody hen. It was under her wing and I crushed it. Not a good feeling at all. I'll still pick up a broody if I have a need but I don't do it just for fun and I'm pretty careful.

2) After the chicks are hatched can I put her in the same pen with the other broody and her chicks? They'll be hatching a few days apart.
I would not. Some people do this without issues, no problems at all. But I've had two broodies fight over eggs just as they started hatching, both wanted those eggs and were not willing to share. Broodies can fight over chicks even if they are many days apart in age. Chicks might get hurt as an innocent bystander in those fights. You can try it. Each broody may take care of her own chicks and leave the others alone. The two broodies may work together to raise all the chicks. Or they may fight over them.

Hi Ridgerunner, thank you very much for these advices. I would love to leave her in the pen with the others but unfortunately her chicks would also be at risk of kites grabbing them, this has happened to my neighbours' chicks in the past so I think I will have to do the move as described by you, at night etc with the small wire mesh pen which I can prep. It's a shame as she's getting on well where she is, but I don't see another option... I will also keep her separate from the other broody. Then I will have to reintroduce them all at a later date!!!

First off, Good luck hatching!!
1.) I think at night is a good idea..
2.) Please dont put the two broody's together. They will fight, kill each others chicks, etc.
Best for them to be apart.
Hi there chicknquailmaster, thank you for this advice, I will not put those broodys together then... at a later date I'll have to reintroduce them all to each other and to the flock...

Back
Top Bottom