2 Broody Seramas, 1 nest box

Ginmary

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 17, 2018
Jackson, NJ
B44D14CF-A0A9-4E53-BCA2-5356F619D915.jpeg
kiki went broody first so I put some eggs (about 6) under her . Sister Dumpling went in every day and laid her egg there which I collected since the others were marked. About a week in, Dumpling went in and never came out. They have been in there ever since taking turns leaving to eat. Candling has narrowed the number down to 3 eggs but one is most likely no good. The other 2 look really good. The chicks are moving in the eggs and should be really close to hatch time.
I moved the nest box into a large plastic tote box so it can be covered and safe from daddy. They have food & water in there. So we will see if the sisters can handle sharing the chicks. I’ve read both good and bad stories but the good ones all start with hens that are very close which these two are.

I love the economical nesting box

It's from that famous poultry supply store: Costco! Not only is it free but you can dispose of it after use and then they give you more! They also come in different sizes and colors to match your decor. I also thought it was appropriate since it was Half n Half and there are two hens in there each having half! OK I'm getting carried away....not enough sleep...

One of the 2 eggs hatched over night. No pip or progress on the 2nd. I hope it is ok. Otherwise we’ll have 1 chick with 2 mommies! Talk about spoiled!

I hope they don’t fight over it.
Congratulations on the chick! :celebrate

Pretty girls, btw :love

I also love how the box they’re sitting in says “half & half” on it :love

Thanks!

It’s back to work today and then they will be alone till Wednesday nite. I was so hoping that both eggs would have been done before we left. No hope for that now since there’s not even a pip yet on the remaining egg. There’s not even any peeping like with the other which was peeping hours before it even pipped.

Back
Top Bottom