2 broodys tag teaming one nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kimber, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Kimber

Kimber Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Okay, this is a first for me.

I have 2 cochin bantums taking turns setting on one nest. Momma 1 gets off the nest to eat and go out and scratch, while Momma 2 clucks up a fit for a few mins looking at the vacated nest then hops on to keep the eggs warm.

The next time I go out, Momma 1 is back on her nest and Momma2 is out eating.

Anybody ever have this happen?

Both are seasoned and trusted brooders with a few past successful clutches east.

Should I just let them take turns? Or put eggs in a new nest for the other?

I just noticed this in the past 4 hours.

Thanks for you input!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have 2 BCM hens on a single nest sharing 18 booted bantam and cochin bantam eggs [​IMG] They are doing a great job so far! I have had birds do this before so I don't expect any problems.

3. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    If it aint broke, don't fix it.
    If they are happy with the arrangement, I would leave them alone.

4. Kimber

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Thanks!

Somehow I hit the shift key and typed @ instead of 2 in the title![​IMG]

5. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have two broodys that were tag teaming but then I put eggs in two boxes and now they switch back and forth to whichever one is empty but both nest are being covered. I only have 2 nest boxes in that coop though. If I had more they would probably go to whichever was available.

6. Kimber

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Oh, one other question.....

When they hatch, do boths hen share the mothering duties as well?

7. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Quote:(Hey Kimber, if you want you can always go back and edit the subject of your post - just go to your original post and click the Edit button in the bottom right corner and you can update the subject line to make it show a 2 instead of the @ sign.)

8. Kimber

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Cool! Thanks

Another forum I'm on will let you edit the content but NOT the title of a post. This is great.

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Have you seen them fighting? If they have, I think its best you make a seperate nest for one of your broodies. But if they're nice to each other and work together finely, I say, give it a go! [​IMG]

~Rio

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I have 3 silkies and 2 OEGB bantam bbreds who are all sitting on eggs in 2 compartments of a waterbed headboard that makes a pretty good nesting box. [​IMG] The other Silkie girl will come in and sit & share covering duties if one decides to get up & move around, but for the most part they are sitting TIGHT to those eggs. I put food within their reach b/c I hadn't seen a couple of them get off the eggs in 2 days [​IMG] When I put the food down, they ate like piggies. Now I make it a point to go out and pick them up, set them down outside the nest box and try to encourage them to eat, drink, and stretch for a few minutes. They really don't like it; they do their best to get back on the eggs IMMEDIATELY. Never had Silkies before; I've had these about 2 mos., but I see why everyone loves them so much. [​IMG] Even some of the LF girls will come in and sit on the eggs, but I'm afraid they'll break them. I've had to make more nest boxes (I had 6 when all this started, but their favorites are of course the ones the broodies are in... ) to accommodate the other girls. That's ok!! Babies, Babies, Babies! Apparently I miscalculated the ones in the bator, too. I was expecting hatching to start on the 21st day which would be the 7th. Woke up this morning to 2 OEGB bantam BB red babies, one still damp. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by