2 brown layers, 1 rooster(bantum)ithink,

mummybear

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
Hi I'm new to forums,
We have 2 brown layers,1 as has gone very broody,( she wont leave her nest)
We have had 6 eggs,which were dud after, the incubation time,
The other has stopped laying,
I'm unsure what to do,any sugesstions is helpful ,Also our rooster is attacking me

Last edited:
Hi and :welcome

Do you want more chickens? And when you say incubation time, did you mean you had them in an incubator or under the broody?

If you want more chickens you could get fertile eggs for your broody to hatch. Or if she was already sitting on the other eggs for a while, you could try getting some day old chicks and placing them under her at night. That will break her broodiness, but only if she's been sitting on eggs for long enough.

If you don't want more chickens, you will have to break her of her broodiness. Here's a good thread on how to do it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-break-a-broody-hen.181289/

Hi and :welcome

Do you want more chickens? And when you say incubation time, did you mean you had them in an incubator or under the broody?

If you want more chickens you could get fertile eggs for your broody to hatch. Or if she was already sitting on the other eggs for a while, you could try getting some day old chicks and placing them under her at night. That will break her broodiness, but only if she's been sitting on eggs for long enough.

If you don't want more chickens, you will have to break her of her broodiness. Here's a good thread on how to do it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-break-a-broody-hen.181289/
Thank you, they were in a incubator,we have left 1 under her, to hatch herself but not sure how to goabout it,do we take it away or leave nature take its corse? x

It was full term, I left them 2 days extra, the candle testing was looking good, but they were all dud, I don't quite now what happened, is she just gone broody, but not fertility any of her eggs?

Ok, if the egg is a dud it won't help giving it to her to hatch. And even if it did hatch, if she only just went broody she won't be ready for chicks yet. She has to sit on the nest for at least 2 weeks before she will be ready for babies, preferably 3 weeks.

Where do you live? Is there a way for you to get fertile eggs from someone? Then you can put those under her for her to hatch on her own.
If you can't find fertile eggs then when she's been on the nest for about 3 weeks, you could get some day old chicks and put them under her at night so that she thinks her own eggs hatched. Just make sure there are some fake eggs under her until then and make sure the chicks aren't more that a day or two old, otherwise it won't work.

If neither of these is possible for you, you will need to read the link I posted earlier and break her.

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help.

Back
Top Bottom