1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Buff Silkies - Bow Chica Wow Wow

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vfem, Sep 3, 2008.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm almost for sure one is a roo. Someone sexed them weeks ago, they are now between 10-11 weeks old. It appears which ever one is the roo has become active. My older egg layer is laying what appear to be fertilized eggs!!?? I'm not quite sure yet... it has the white vein like spot on her yolks. Just noticed it in her last eggs she laid.

Anyways... One has a cute walnut comb that is a purpley color, and has developed wattles in the last day or so. The other, just a tiny black comb and no wattles but he/she is larger in size, and stands taller in my opinion. I was told the second one was a roo weeks ago, but a lot of changes have happened since then.

So, I'm looking for a second opinion. Especially if there is mating going on behind my back!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (hmmm... there may be babies?!?!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Slike

Slike Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Puna, Big Island, HI
    The one in the foreground of the last pic looks very henny to me; can't tell about the other well enough to guess from the angle of the pics.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That egg does not look fertile. All eggs will have the spot, it's when it looks like a bullseye that it is fertile. You can refer to Cyn's post if you need to. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

In
    regards to your buffs, you have at least one cockerel, angle's not great to sex the other chick, but it looks like a pullet.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by