2 Chickens 1 wont lay!

sammy

Songster
11 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Hi

I got 2 chickens about the same time, here is a pic of the one not laying when younger (about 3 months ago)

12910_chicken.jpg

Well the laying one has a big fat red comb and lays an egg a day, this girl has gotten as big as the hen that is laying but her comb is still small and she isnt displaying any behaviors that will show she will lay soon.

Is it possible she will not ever lay eggs? It is ok if she doesnt they are inseperable and I would never think of getting rid of her.

Just wondering tho.

Thanks!!

If you are positive the second one is indeed a hen, she's probably just not as mature yet. Chickens mature at different rates, just like human peeps do.

Quote:
well...I was told she is a hen, oh boy now I feel stupid but how do I tell? (nn to answer that I am sure I can find the info on the internet)

Giving that she is a hen though thanks I will leave her be, her comb has gotten bigger and a bit redder since that picture. Thanks!

Sammy, I bet if you posted some pics here on BYC we'd all be able to help put your mind at rest about the sex of your chicken. I'd say chances are good you just one hen maturing slow than the other.

MY CHICKEN LAID AN EGG SUNDAY! 12/14

APPROX 6 months after the 1st one!

wee.gif

woohoo!

don't put them in the stewpot too quick peoples!
cool.png

btw i got the 2 of them this past april 2008 1st one laid an egg in 2 months.

Last edited:
yep gris you were right!

i will post an updated pic of her soon. her comb started to grow just 3 weeks ago

thanks all!

Congratulations!!!
jumpy.gif
love.gif

My first to start laying was 17 weeks my last to start laying was 27 weeks. The first one that started to lay was an early developer. The one that started at 27 weeks, hardly had a comb at 17 weeks, but was the largest bird in size. The first to lay was the smallest bird. Most started at between 20 - 23 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom