2 chickens dead 2pm ???! Help

probably racoon. just because they aren't usually out doesn't mean they never are. a few years ago, when I was just getting into chicken farming, had a racoon come two nights in a row to eat my rhode island red chicks. stopped when I surrounded the outdoor brooder with large stones, and secured the thin wood- framed wire door with a childproof cabinet lock.
But a raccoon wouldn't strip the bird from all meat and skin like that. They'll eat the good stuff (breast, thighs, legs), maybe tear the bird into pieces, and leave a mess. The way the bird is so neatly picked clean makes me think raptor, but OP said something about the bird being found in the coop, and without knowing the coop setup that may or may not have been the case.

Welcomes to Backyard chickens ! If the 2nd bird was picked clean as the first I'd rule out a 4 legged predator. If your barn has no openings, vents or windows with spaces large enough to allow a hawk or owl to enter its entered the run then walked right in the door

Last edited:
Warning graphic photo!!

New to this site I’ve had chickens for about a year I have them in a pretty secure barn over night with a chicken door to the outside that opens and closes automatically with a poultry electric fence around their area. I have covered areas outside set up for hawk attacks.

I fed them this am around 10am ans then went out at 2pm and there as a dead chicken in the field head still on and body was devoured. I put up another canopy out thinking it as a hawk

Same thing today!! But now in the coop not outside. I’m thinking an animal bypasses the electric fence maybe I have a weak point they slid under it and went through the chicken door

Same style of attack sorry for the graphic photo.

What animal would attack a chicken at 2 pm?!!

My plan is to secure the fence better and double check all areas of the barn
I have a trail camera I keep pointed at my coop area so I can see what is roaming around there. This might help you determine what predator you have doing this.

Why don't raptors eat at 2pm? Is it their nap time or something? I see them from sun up to sundowns, but I’ve never really looked at my watch to see what time they eat specifically, I assumed it was any time the opportunity arose. I’ll have to do some more research on the subject.
They eat whenever they're hungry. I think the person you respond to mixed up am and pm.

Raccoon will travel day or night depending how hungry and if known meal, though primary night. Raccoon will eat feathers and all at times. Raccoons like to eat the heads of chickens alot of nutrients.

Possum is lazy from my experience they start at the hind end and eat in. Possum is more oporturnity animal, sure they will go after a animal. middle day chicken should be able to outrun a possum of course no where to run it cant. Chicken big enough can outrun a raccoon.

If the electric fence is at about 3 inches to 6 off ground which I set around my sweet corn and had enough joule output raccoon or possum would not go thru.

Now my chickens will go under the elctric fence and most time does not faze them, yah they get zapped on occasion, but more times than any they go under. SO many feathers I guess. Weather a winged bird of prey could go under electric fence?

I do not know what got your birds, but maybe this help, as suggested get a camera.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom