2 chickens with 1 eye shut, lethargic. Please help!

diamondie

Songster
6 Years
Apr 25, 2017
I have had a somewhat lethargic chicken for 5 weeks now with one eye swollen and shot. She would open it some days and some days kept it shot. Today I noticed another chicken has her eye closed and is appearing more lethargic but she was perfectly fine yesterday. I don't know what to do about it. The rest of the chickens seem perfectly normal. The two affected chickens are our newest additions. We got them about 2 months ago.

Attachments

• 20190826_184512.jpg
    20190826_184512.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190823_103548.jpg
    20190823_103548.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190826_184753.jpg
    20190826_184753.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 7
Oh this makes sense, thank you so much. Would my local feed store sell Tylan or where do you get it from?

I disagree respectfully, since it appears to be bubbles in the eyes. It might a respiratory disease such as MG, or possibly coryza if there is a bad odor and thick nasal secretions. How is the ventilation in your coop, and do you smell any ammonia in there from droppings? Are you noticing any sneeze or cough, crackles or wheezes during breathing? Can you try and clean the eyes with a commercial eye was or saline? Get some Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or if unable, use plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment from a clean tube in the eye twice a day.

If you are dealing with a respiratory sinus infection, you may need to use an antibiotic such as oxytetracycline or Tylan. That is about all feed stores carry. If they smell bad and it could be coryza, you can try a sulfa antibiotic from a vet or get one online. Testing is the only way to know what you are seeing. Ammonia odor in the coop can burn eyes causing ulcers and swelling, and eventual blindness.

Photo number two tells me coryza because of how swollen the eye is and the eye looking a bit distorted. If you here sneezing or have a lot of nasal discharge then MG for sure, but I’m not seeing the nasal discharge and one eye being swollen shut is common in coryza. Tylan can be bought at TSC or Runnings.

No sneezing, coughing or discharge.
Will try to get the tylan tomorrow although slightly concerned as listed on manufacturer backorder online.

Photo number two tells me coryza because of how swollen the eye is and the eye looking a bit distorted. If you here sneezing or have a lot of nasal discharge then MG for sure, but I’m not seeing the nasal discharge and one eye being swollen shut is common in coryza. Tylan can be bought at TSC or Runnings.

Back
Top Bottom