2 chicks down & I’m worried about the rest! Help!

I feel like 97 is really hot. My chicks were down to 90 and maybe less within the first week. I don't know if that's why, but I thought I'd mention it. Mine never tolerated the temps that were recommended, I just had to watch how they reacted to it. I hope you get at least two that make it :hitThat must be hard to watch, so sorry for you.
It was more often in the mid 90s, and they seem very content with those mid-90 temps. They are bantams, so perhaps they need more heat?

I give all new chicks "magic chicken water". 1/2 cup of raw honey, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a warm gallon of water. Let it steep overnight.
I have never heard of this. What does it do for them? I'm guessing intestinal ph, antiparasite, honey for energy? My go-to has always been boiled rice water and poultry electrolytes. I've never received sick chicks, just the occasional too cold one.

Last edited:
Ideal Poultry is in TX and they have a good reputation too.

I hope you won't let this setback discourage you. We ALL have had losses, for various reasons.
Thank you! I will check out Ideal Poultry! Every chick I have raised up until now has thrived! It was my first time shipping chicks though. All my previous chicks were bought at a local feed store. This experience has certainly made me think twice about shipping, but I am sure I will try it again!

I have lost earlier this year at least four chicks within weeks of each other, and I was heartbroken, and one of them I tried to save with CPR, but it threw it's head back as well.
and I am also so sorry for your loss, my best regards to you.
Thank you for sharing that, I appreciate the support! I am sorry for your losses as well!

If the the 4th one doesn’t make it, would you consider sending it to a lab for testing? It’s not uncommon to lose a chick or two with shipped chicks, but 3/6 tells me something is not right at all. I usually get 25 or more in a shipment and rarely lose more than one, maybe two within the first day or so.
I was thinking a necropsy would answer a few questions, including if this is some chemical exposure or issue from the hatchery. My last 10-count arrived with one dying chick: the post office folks had put the box inside in front of a fan. The smallest chick was cold when i picked her up. She died 2 hours later, despite heat, hydration.

Yes, I would be more than willing.
My 4th chick just passed - luckily the other 2 seem happy and healthy, but I am very curious what is going on... Would you happen to know how to go about that?
I’m sorry, I don’t. I do hope someone can help you, though. With that many, there is a definite problem, and if it’s a problem from the hatchery, they need to know.

I was thinking a necropsy would answer a few questions, including if this is some chemical exposure or issue from the hatchery. My last 10-count arrived with one dying chick: the post office folks had put the box inside in front of a fan. The smallest chick was cold when i picked her up. She died 2 hours later, despite heat, hydration.
I'm so sorry to hear this!
That is a good point. I am planning to ship one of them off tomorrow for necropsy.
It did take a while for USPS to find my box in the back and I thought "where on earth did you put those poor baby chicks and how hard is it to find the "cheeping" box!?"

Back
Top Bottom