2 chicks with sticky butt now I think have vent gleen. Please help.

Caseyrae

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2023
New to raising chicks, most of my chicks seem healthy but two of my 4 new Easter eggers had sticky butt after I brought them home. I’ve had them a week, I cleaned their bottoms daily once symptoms began and the last two days I applied vasoline. I’m afraid I over did the vasoline, the vents are smoother now and I’m not seeing the pasty butt. However, I noticed swelling this evening and thinning of the feathers around the vent. I cannot separate my chicks as I don’t have room for additional brooders. I’ll post a rundown of conditions below.

Medicated Purina start and grow feed

Fresh water daily with Perdue Arrive prebiotic/probiotic and Recovery Plus

12 chicks 1-3 weeks old.

Tried the method of adding fresh bedding over older bedding for 4 days changing all bedding every two days but stopped due to concerns with the pasty butt.

Brooder kept in garage daily outside temp 88-93 degrees.

Would like to treat at home without vet.

Would like help accurately identifying the problem and treatment recommendations please. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_5232.jpeg
    IMG_5232.jpeg
    951 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5233.jpeg
    IMG_5233.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5234.jpeg
    IMG_5234.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5236.jpeg
    IMG_5236.jpeg
    399.6 KB · Views: 13
I don't see anything that needs urgent attention. I do have a couple of suggestions.
If you think your chicks are sensitive to the Vaseline, consider using Olive oil to lubricate the vent area. That keeps pasty butt from sticking.
Just apply some to vent area, (not inside) with your finger dipped in Olive oil.
I would also just give Water without any additives for now. Sometimes too many things in a Baby chicks diet may be overwhelming on a chick. Consider that you are also feeding Medicated feed. I see no problem with the feed. Consider giving Medicated feed up to about 8 weeks, or when you run out. If your chicks get outdoor activity, in run area, on soil ground, they develop their own immunity to coccidiosis.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I don't see anything that needs urgent attention. I do have a couple of suggestions.
If you think your chicks are sensitive to the Vaseline, consider using Olive oil to lubricate the vent area. That keeps pasty butt from sticking.
Just apply some to vent area, (not inside) with your finger dipped in Olive oil.
I would also just give Water without any additives for now. Sometimes too many things in a Baby chicks diet may be overwhelming on a chick. Consider that you are also feeding Medicated feed. I see no problem with the feed. Consider giving Medicated feed up to about 8 weeks, or when you run out. If your chicks get outdoor activity, in run area, on soil ground, they develop their own immunity to coccidiosis.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom