2 Cockerels, 1 coop? Can I make this work for the winter?

Noymira

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Chittenden County, VT
I currently have 16 birds; 7 pullets, 7 hens and 2 cockerels. I'm hopefully picking of 4 more pullets this weekend.

Right now I have 3 separate pens. The youngest cockerel (14 weeks) is in with my 16 week old pullets and 2 older hens in the large coop. I'm also keeping 5 hens and an 18 week old cockerel in a separate pen (all Black Copper Marans). The new pullets will go into quarantine in the tractor, then will move into the large coop with the rest of the of the pullets.

I'm going to need to integrate everyone for winter in the large coop, it's the only structure set up to handle our fairly long, snowy winters. We are going to be working on breeding some dual purpose birds next year (the cockerels are Barred Rock and Black Copper Marans).

The coop is 10'X10' and the run is 318 sqr/ft. How can I help keep the peace with 2 young cockerels? There will be 20 birds total; 18 ladies and the 2 gents, am I likely to run into problems? I know a lot will depend on their personalities, but should I merge the flock sooner rather than later, or leave them separate until fall? They both seem fairly mild mannered now, and I do not handle them for the most part, but I know they are still young. What can I offer them in the coop and run for distractions that will help keep conflict to a minimum?

This is my first year keeping chickens and I've decided to dive in head first it seems! Any other advice for me?

Can you free range them at all? That might help them get aquainted and make the merge a bit easier.....

It will likely be a bit rough at first. Hens and roos alike will need to establish a new pecking order.......

Quote:
They won't be free ranging (we are gone for 8+ hours most days), but I'm working on a large fenced area for them (about 1/2 acre) and hope to have that done by fall. Maybe I'll speed up those plans and let everyone meet and mingle that way.

I have two roos in 2 coops. And in my bantie coop I have 4... 1 silkie and 3 Porcelain d'Uccles. Personally I would put them together ASAP the younger the better in my opinion... and also before they will spend more time cooped up inside when winter comes...
smile.png

PS... if you can pen the newcomer in a dog crate for a couple of days first that may help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom