2 day old chick. Lathergic and not active.

Tinababy11979

Chirping
Sep 23, 2021
I have a broody hen that hatched 4 chicks.. I have 2 late hatch eggs. 1st egg hatched 1 week later. Seemed heathy at 1st but rapidly declined.wobbled around very sleepy. I tried giving egg yolk for an extra boost but kept get worse. I noticed during the day hen didnt sit on the egg at all except at night. I keep her locked up in a small pen, but that didnt work either.. That chic ended up dying on day three.. Now the 2nd egg started pipping 3 days day after removing it from the nest and putting in under a heat lamp with a moist towel in with it.. Egg wasnt on the towel.. Seems like this one is acting the same way all tho he is getting around alittle better than the last. He has spirts. He is eating but havent quite figured out the water unless i syring it to him. Tried the dipping the beak thing..after he was hatched i put him back with momma and siblings. But he cant keep up with them. I did put a heat light in the cage so he dont get cold.. I just dont know what else to do.. I dont want to loose him.. I named him pumpkin... Please help..

I have a broody hen that hatched 4 chicks.. I have 2 late hatch eggs. 1st egg hatched 1 week later. Seemed heathy at 1st but rapidly declined.wobbled around very sleepy. I tried giving egg yolk for an extra boost but kept get worse. I noticed during the day hen didnt sit on the egg at all except at night. I keep her locked up in a small pen, but that didnt work either.. That chic ended up dying on day three.. Now the 2nd egg started pipping 3 days day after removing it from the nest and putting in under a heat lamp with a moist towel in with it.. Egg wasnt on the towel.. Seems like this one is acting the same way all tho he is getting around alittle better than the last. He has spirts. He is eating but havent quite figured out the water unless i syring it to him. Tried the dipping the beak thing..after he was hatched i put him back with momma and siblings. But he cant keep up with them. I did put a heat light in the cage so he dont get cold.. I just dont know what else to do.. I dont want to loose him.. I named him pumpkin... Please help..
One minute hes trying to run around with the oters then all of a sudden he goes to belly and goes to sleep.. Like he runs out of energy really fast..

I'm really sorry that this is happening. The hen's 1st priority is always the stronger, healthier chicks.
You should take the little one and raise it in a heated brooder. If it were me, I'd place it in a secured, heated brooder near the hen, so that it can see and hear mama and chicks and visa versa. When it is stronger, she would be more likely to accept it then, and it won't be as lonely.

Another thing i had noticed is when he eats and drinks he tilts his head all the way back causeing him to fall backwards unless im holding him.
He is probably week from trying to keep up. I would add electrolytes or save a chick to his water every other day, until he is stronger. Good luck!

He is probably week from trying to keep up. I would add electrolytes or save a chick to his water every other day, until he is stronger. Good luck!
Im fixing a brooder box inside my house for my little baby.. I have another chick that is his size that was born a few days before him that im thinking about putting with him so he wont be alone.. Do you think that would help... I do see him eating what he finds around him but havent seen him drink water without my help.

This is my baby...

Attachments

• 20210923_145043.jpg
    20210923_145043.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210923_145121.jpg
    20210923_145121.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom