2 day old chick not walking - photo

Rachel1974

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
Hi
Very new to chickens - my first hatch, so would really appreciate some guidance. Used this site a lot in the last 3 weeks as home incubating but just joined now. I had 10 eggs of which only 4 hatched (manual turning etc). This is Black Bantum X - s/he was a sticky chick and is only just fluffing up after 2 days. I had to assist this chap's hatch as s/he'd dried in the shell - I didn't force it out but bathed shell in warm water and then s/he did the work to get out.
Now this little one just seems to wobble a lot - s/he does walk but only a little, then s/he seems to flop down lop sided. I've noticed there isn't much tension in the toes. Separated from the others, I've put down soft non slippy mesh to enable grip and I'm also encouraging drinking and eating with a pipette as s/he's not getting round easily enough to do his/herself.

I actually thought it would pass last night so was pleasantly surprised this morning. Thanks.

I hope this works:
94525_sam_1352.jpg

This is Splay legs. There is a treatment for the Splay legs and it sometimes works and sometimes not. Search for Splay legs. You can get many good info. here, BYC. Good luck with your little chickie! Thanks, Noriko

Back
Top Bottom