2 day old chick with bloody toe. Never mind - she died

debilorrah

The Great Guru of Yap
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
The Carpal Tunnel Rehab Center
It is right near the nail bed - look to have been pecked off or something. Blood has stopped, however the little thing is standing on one foot peeping it's fool head off. Is it a drama queen or do you think it is really in pain? She sits in my hand just fine, but when I put her down she stand for sec then lifts her leg and starts screaming. Like a drama queen.

ETA: This my first time with a chick problem!!

Last edited:
We just got a chick from TSC last week that had the same thing. Actually we saved it because the other chicks were pecking it so badly they were about to rip it apart. Our little guy/gal's toe looked pretty rough. We brought her/him home with 5 other chicks and watched for pecking. It has been fine every since. The toe is healing nicely and we really didn't do anything for it except create an enviroment for it to heal.

So, maybe your chick is a drama queen?
wink.png

Julie

being pecked...clean off the blood well..treat with a little peroxide and neosporin..keep clean..
once they see blood, they keep pecking.
might have to divide the brooder temporarily..put another chick in for company..but keep watch..
make sure it's totally healed before putting back with the others.

keep a close eye and see if there is a bully that is pecking on others.

Sorry for your loss. We had a baby do the same thing a few weeks ago. Was maybe 3/4 weeks old. Thought she caught it on something. Put antiseptic spray and she was fine. Could not find cause.

dont feel too bad. any time ive ever lost a chick / chicken, i never learn to just deal with it. lol i cry
hit.gif
we just have to learn more how to cope with the loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom