2 day old leans to one side, eye less open

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OCchickens, Feb 14, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I have a serama who leans to the left & right eye seems smaller or he keeps it closed. My husband thinks he might be blind on that side. I've had to keep him separate b/c the others pick on him. He's much better today than yesterday so I'm hopeful he'll make it. I'd like to see him start eating and drinking, but he has til tomorrow am to be at 48 hours.

Has anyone seen this, have any idea what it might be? He was on his back & getting tromped on by the other bigger chicks in the bator -- could one of them pecked his eye or scratched it, or do you think he was born this way?

I'll try some sugar water tomorrow am if he's not eating or drinking yet.

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    We got our chicks thursday morning and had one with spraddleleg. We have been trying to nurse her back but she wouldn't eat or drink much. We tried sugar water and it didn't seem to help much so i started her on vitamins and electrolytes(It's like gatorade for chicks). Once she started drinking that she has done much better and is also eating better. Good Luck. PS. I've read that if you can't get this right away that you can use gatorade till you can get the other

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would try the electrolytes or some plain yogurt to get your chick started.
    I would avoid the sugar water if at all possible. Sugar can give the little ones diarrhea, compounding the problem.
    Things to keep your chick from being lonely when seperated: a small stuffed animal or a clean feather duster.

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Two of our new babies were not doing well this weekend. They wouldn't eat or drink. The only time they would drink is when I dunked their beaks. Eventually, they did eat the plain yogurt I offered on my finger. They are hanging in there for now. The RS is doing better, but the BA didn't look good last night and is still not complaining when I pick her up this morning. I don't think she is completely out of the woods yet. I am still feeding the BA yogurt since she won't take anything else.

Dot, the 2nd grocery store egg chick, had an eye issue his first few days after coming out of the incubator, just like you describe. Most of the time he would keep it closed for the first few days. He has them both open now. Give it time, and I hope yours starts to eat and drink for you.

5. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Thanks for the replies about our little guy which I have named Buttercup. I should get a photo on here of him -- he's really cute.

He seems to be eating on his own now & I have put him back in with the others & he's holding his own. I was worried about his drinking -- he keeps his head back a long time when he drinks -- but he's so alert I don't think he's getting dehydrated.

My husband suggested putting a little friend in with him 2 days ago & that's when he really perked up. That seemed to help a lot.

6. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    cant wait to see photos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by