2 day old turkey not eating or dirnking

craigle dude

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 27, 2009
North West England, Merseyside
Hey I have 2 two day old turkey chicks one of them is fine pecking at the food still needs a bit of help with the water but other than that really good but the other one
hmm.png
one of his eyes are semi closed he struggles when you help him drink and won't peck at the food I just wanted to know how I can help it
hmm.png

Did this chick have any problems with hatching? Is your temperature 90-95? Does the water have sugar added?

Some chicks need extra time in the incubator.

I had the temp up but they started gasping for air and falling over alot so i lowered it and they're acting better Yes there is sugar in the water I honestly now think it's just a bit young because its sarted to copy it's sister and peck at the floor
wee.gif
Next step Drinking
hmm.png

what I learned with turkeys is to brood them with chicks the first few weeks because turkeys need to ne taught where there food and water is for the first few weeks. They aren't the brightest bulbs on the trees:-( So when they are with chicks they watch the chicks eat and drink everyday taking your momma training skills away in a good way..

Last edited:
Quote:
not to stral the OP's thunder on this thread but I noticed you carry White midget turkeys? How long does it take for them to mature to start laying. Also, Prety sure I have a breeding pair-the males typically have a brownish head right? Ive never had turkeys until I got these 2 --3 weeks ago and I love them. Do I need a seperate roosting pole for them? They are very sad I took away brooder box yesterday where they used to roost:-(

I had the temp up but they started gasping for air and falling over alot so i lowered it and they're acting better Yes there is sugar in the water I honestly now think it's just a bit young because its sarted to copy it's sister and peck at the floor
wee.gif
Next step Drinking
hmm.png
What would you think about putting one of my italian quails in there with them she eats and drinks :')

Quote:
not to stral the OP's thunder on this thread but I noticed you carry White midget turkeys? How long does it take for them to mature to start laying. Also, Prety sure I have a breeding pair-the males typically have a brownish head right? Ive never had turkeys until I got these 2 --3 weeks ago and I love them. Do I need a seperate roosting pole for them? They are very sad I took away brooder box yesterday where they used to roost:-(

I have seen them start lay at about 7 months. Yours will be laying next spring. How old are they? Once they start to feather out the Midgets slow gender pretty quick. The males will start to loose the fuzz on their heads and the females won't. Most of our turkeys roost oustide. We just went back into the woods and cut down a pine tree about 6 inches in diameter and put that about 4 feet off the ground. The ones that do go into the houses roost beside the chickens.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom