2 days and 6 dead chickens later ugh!

bobbi-j

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
Wow! So sorry to read about your flock! I’m glad you have solved the mystery. I’d hang onto that lone hen and start checking out the hatchery websites. Unless you want a purebred flock, why not get one or two chicks of some breeds you’ve been curious about? Try a few and see how you like them.
How did your rooster turn out?

Mrs. K

Free Ranging
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Yes it was for rodent control. And very, very weird it has never been an issue before. But we found oats in a place they have never been, coming out of a hole into an old building that the girls do go in. Pack rat maybe?

Thing is this ranch has been here for more than 100 years, and old buildings stored stuff, and stuff deteriorates with time, but it is the only thing that seems to make sense. Those old buildings are going. We are going to sort, and then with the next snow, we will burn. It is a job that has needed to be done for a long time... you know, later. Later is now.

As for the survivor, part of me says - hey she lived, must not have been exposed. But part of me says... what do you know for sure? I may just cull her too. Do some major clean up, and start over fresh. A very depressing week-end.

Mrs K

Mrs. K

Free Ranging
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Learn how to get along... that is a good point. This just sucks, eggs should started coming in the next two weeks, this has been such a good flock, healthy, active, was going to do some hatching for a friend, and myself of course.

I just think I really do know what I am doing, got it figured out and a wreck like this happens. I am just sick.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
But we found oats in a place they have never been, coming out of a hole into an old building that the girls do go in. Pack rat maybe?
Rodent stash makes some sense.

Learn how to get along... that is a good point. This just sucks, eggs should started coming in the next two weeks, this has been such a good flock, healthy, active, was going to do some hatching for a friend, and myself of course.

I just think I really do know what I am doing, got it figured out and a wreck like this happens. I am just sick.
:hugs

Mrs. K

Free Ranging
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
One hen made it...I think. She still looked good tonight. @ Folly - those bright eyes are safe from me... she is staying.

Not my rooster, Tipperary. Today, I put a call in for some chicks. Will be ordering this week. Will get a mixed group, I like that kind of flock best.

SWEAR.... ugh. Oh well chicks are always fun.

Mrs K

Top Bottom