2 dead, 3rd sick, please help! Stinky mouth.

JerseyHen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Sussex County, NJ
When the first one died I assumed it was related to the gigantic tumor on her left breast (I posted about this the other day), but I have had 2 get sick since, now I wonder. I have a flock of about 40, most have been vaccinated for Marek's.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
First an older RIR, then a 1.5 year wellsummer, now a 1.5 year brahma

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Drooping, lethargy, no eating/drinking. No eye or nose discharge, really foul smelling breath, no rales, but the ones that died had some labored breathing at the end. I think they might be "pale", but it is hard for me to gauge that. A week ago I found some bloody poop, but none since. I have found some feather lice, but no mites or other external parasites that I can see (I did a light dusting with sevin just in case). They just go droopy, stop eating, go lame, then die.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
They seem fine one day and are like this the next, dead in two days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
The rest of the flock seems ok for the moment. Egg laying is way down though.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
NA

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I did bring in some new chicks (under 2 months from a reputable breeder and did a 2 week quarantine on them). They seem fine and are thriving, for the moment anyway.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Flock raiser with free choice oyster shell and grit, freeranging.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
The 3 birds in question are having greener than normal poop. No obvious worms.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None, because I don't know if I need a coccidiostat, antibiotic, or dewormer... and I didn't want to do all 3 at the same time.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to treat myself or cull the bird (I culled the first 2 because they were too far gone). I don't want to minimize the spreading as best as possible.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
NA

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Large coop and run, freeranging, pine shavings.

Last edited:
You need to worm them. Get a bottle of Safeguard (sheep drench) from your local farm store and a small syringe (no needle). The dosage is 1 cc/10lbs of bird.. so that would be 1/2 cc for a standard sized bird, 1/4 cc for a small or bantam. Have someone help hold them while you hold their head and squirt it down the back of their throat. Redose in 7-10 days to get the hatching larva. Toss the eggs out, don't feed them back to the flock. The withdrawl time is 24 days from the first dose.

If you have a very weak bird, give her half the dose one day and the remainder the second day. Worms will definitlely cause these symptoms and takes a lot out of them. I've seen a week hen begin to bounce back the next day.

Last edited:
You need to worm them. Get a bottle of Safeguard (sheep drench) from your local farm store and a small syringe (no needle). The dosage is 1 cc/10lbs of bird.. so that would be 1/2 cc for a standard sized bird, 1/4 cc for a small or bantam. Have someone help hold them while you hold their head and squirt it down the back of their throat. Redose in 7-10 days to get the hatching larva. Toss the eggs out, don't feed them back to the flock. The withdrawl time is 24 days from the first dose.

If you have a very weak bird, give her half the dose one day and the remainder the second day. Worms will definitlely cause these symptoms and takes a lot out of them. I've seen a week hen begin to bounce back the next day.
Should I treat the whole flock as well?

Definitely. I usually get them first thing in the morning when they're still locked up. My daughter catches and holds each one while I dose them, then she releases each one outside the run so we know that we got them all.

Definitely. I usually get them first thing in the morning when they're still locked up. My daughter catches and holds each one while I dose them, then she releases each one outside the run so we know that we got them all.
What about the little ones? I have several young (3 or 4 months).

I wouldn't give both treatments at the same time, that could be tough on them, but I would treat for coccidiosis also with Corid. While it's not impossible for an older bird to get coccidiosis, it's more common in chicks and young birds that are not immune to it yet. You mentioned they were 1.5 yrs and free range, so that makes me think that they've been exposed to it by now. That's why I lean toward worms, but both are possible.

It's possible to get a secondary bacterial infection as a result of parasites, but you need to get rid of the parasites, whatever that may be.

Back
Top Bottom