2 Degreese 2 Annoying

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maxamus, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Maxamus

Maxamus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2014
    Day 18 is here! I'm still in the race with 9/12 chicks alive.I took the egg turned out today and temp dropped from 99.5 to 97.2. I've worked with it for about an hour and the temp won't budge! Help?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you try to cover it with blankets in a way that doesn't block the vents?

-Kathy

3. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    Will this do, I'm blasting the fireplace in hope to warm this icy hell up

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The base on those is quite thin. Do you still have the styrofoam that it came in?

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Pile blankets on three side, that should help.

-Kathy

7. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. Maxamus

Oct 16, 2014
    Yes!Survival. I will watch the temp all day. Thanks for the help

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Does the incubator temp display always read so high? Did you candle the eggs to see if they're alive? Might be a good idea to get another thermometer just in case.

-Kathy

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It will also help if you put the bator on a nice thick layer of foam, or even some folded towels. They can loose a lot of heat through the bottom. My bator is home made styrofoam, and I have to layer on the towels, set it on a foam cushion due to temp variations with our wood heat. Also, if your turner had a motor which was in the bator, as I assume they all do, that would account for your temp drop. Be extra careful b/c it's super easy to over compensate when raising the temp, resulting in a critical temp spike. The good news is that, at this stage, the chicklets are generating a fair amount of their own body heat, and some incubator protocols even recommend dropping the temp by a degree for hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by