Day 23 No pip

Homefarm4all

Chirping
May 31, 2022
I have not posted here in a while, I incubated 12 eggs and 6 beautiful chicks hatched. One hatched today, and it’s day 23. The other 6 eggs have not pipped. Temps were never below 99.5 and never above 101. Raised humidity at lockdown. Should I be worried?? Candling at lockdown showed growth.

I would assume they are not going to hatch anymore, for whatever reason some just don't make it out the egg, day 23 is a little bit to late for me personally. I would discard eggs, IMHO.

I have not posted here in a while, I incubated 12 eggs and 6 beautiful chicks hatched. One hatched today, and it’s day 23. The other 6 eggs have not pipped. Temps were never below 99.5 and never above 101. Raised humidity at lockdown. Should I be worried?? Candling at lockdown showed growth.
I would candle again. Do you know what to look for? Check for drawdown, internal pips, and if your candler is good enough, look for fuzziness and settling that may indicate dead embryos.
Your temperature is likely off if you’re having day 23 hatches on chicken eggs. Have you calibrated your thermometers? How many thermometers are you using? Still air or forced?

I would candle again. Do you know what to look for? Check for drawdown, internal pips, and if your candler is good enough, look for fuzziness and settling that may indicate dead embryos.
Your temperature is likely off if you’re having day 23 hatches on chicken eggs. Have you calibrated your thermometers? How many thermometers are you using? Still air or forced?
Thank You, I'll candle them again when I get off of work this afternoon. Hopefully I can get more chicks. I had 5 hatch under a hen 3 weeks ago with no issues and she is being a great mama. First time using incubator, so not really an expert on how to calibrate. I only used the machine thermometer.

Thank You, I'll candle them again when I get off of work this afternoon. Hopefully I can get more chicks. I had 5 hatch under a hen 3 weeks ago with no issues and she is being a great mama. First time using incubator, so not really an expert on how to calibrate. I only used the machine thermometer.
I recommend using at least two external thermometers calibrated using the ice water method. The thermometer within the incubator can be quite wrong at times and I wouldn't rely on it. Even my Brinsea thermometer is off by a bit.

I saw people assisting with
I recommend using at least two external thermometers calibrated using the ice water method. The thermometer within the incubator can be quite wrong at times and I wouldn't rely on it. Even my Brinsea thermometer is off by a bit.
I forgot to mention that the last chick that hatched was moved and cracked when moving one of the chicks. Should i make external pips in hopes of assisting them to hatch if they are still alive? Lesson learned about the thermometers for next time.

Did you count the days right? That is a pretty common mistake on here. It takes an egg 24 hours to have a day's worth of development so you say "one" 24 hours after you set them. An easy way to check is that the day of the week you set them is the day of the week the 21 days is up. If you started them on a Friday then the 21 days was up last Friday.

Some eggs can hatch as much as 2 or even 3 days early or late and survive, whether under a broody hen or in an incubator. There are different reasons for that: heredity, humidity, how and how long they were stored, or just differences in the eggs. That's one reason you may get a day or two in between eggs hatching. As mentioned above, average incubation temperature is important too. Very important.

My incubator hatches are typically around 20 chicks. I sometimes have the hatch over within 16 hours of the first one pipping. I like those. Sometimes the hatch stretches out over 2 days, those can be stressful. I had an incubator hatch where one chick hatched on Day 19 and I did not even see a pip on another egg for 24 hours, about when I went to bed. The next morning I woke up to another 16 chicks. That's all that hatched. Each hatch is unique, you never know for sure what will happen. I've had some where a single chick was way late.

When the chicks hatch they can make a mess in the incubator. The insides of the eggs can have some liquid and the chicks start pooping. After two or three days the incubator starts to stink. When it starts to stink I stop incubating and toss the remaining eggs. Otherwise I stop on day 24. A couple of times I've had 100% hatch which takes the guesswork out of it.

Did you count the days right? That is a pretty common mistake on here. It takes an egg 24 hours to have a day's worth of development so you say "one" 24 hours after you set them. An easy way to check is that the day of the week you set them is the day of the week the 21 days is up. If you started them on a Friday then the 21 days was up last Friday.

Some eggs can hatch as much as 2 or even 3 days early or late and survive, whether under a broody hen or in an incubator. There are different reasons for that: heredity, humidity, how and how long they were stored, or just differences in the eggs. That's one reason you may get a day or two in between eggs hatching. As mentioned above, average incubation temperature is important too. Very important.

My incubator hatches are typically around 20 chicks. I sometimes have the hatch over within 16 hours of the first one pipping. I like those. Sometimes the hatch stretches out over 2 days, those can be stressful. I had an incubator hatch where one chick hatched on Day 19 and I did not even see a pip on another egg for 24 hours, about when I went to bed. The next morning I woke up to another 16 chicks. That's all that hatched. Each hatch is unique, you never know for sure what will happen. I've had some where a single chick was way late.

When the chicks hatch they can make a mess in the incubator. The insides of the eggs can have some liquid and the chicks start pooping. After two or three days the incubator starts to stink. When it starts to stink I stop incubating and toss the remaining eggs. Otherwise I stop on day 24. A couple of times I've had 100% hatch which takes the guesswork out of it.
I counted the days right and I used the calendar that came with the incubator from Amazon. This was my first time incubating eggs and didn't realize how stressful it would be. I will candle today and I hope to see something. Thank you for the reply

Sorry for the late update, life got hectic. But I checked the remaining eggs and 4 of them were shrink wrapped. 2 were not developed. I felt really bad. Next time I’ll get an incubator with a humidity meter. The hatched chicks are great 1 ended up being a silkie, not sure how 🤣

Back
Top Bottom