2 Different Questions... 2 many eggs? & broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by havi, Sep 3, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Sorry I didnt want to clog up the board with my posts so I thought I would ask two in one.

1) My 6 chickens just started laying eggs..maybe 2 weeks ago and I was told normally for the first month or so they will lay every other day. Well I got four eggs yesterday and so I thought I would only get 1 or 2 eggs today. Well when I went out there there were three eggs and one on the way(lol). I have 4 brown layers and 2 green layers. Well yesterday there were 3 brown and one green and then today when I went out there there were two brown and a green. And the one that was laying an egg is a brown layer. Is this normal? [​IMG]

2) When can a chicken go broody? I mean like at what age? How young is too young? I went out to gather my eggs and I noticed one of my RIR were sitting on the nest. Well I started cleaning off the roost and thought..well Ill just give her a little pet and let her know I love her. ( [​IMG] ) Well when I pet her she lifted up a little and I saw there were eggs under her. I thought when I would grab them she would run squawking out the door but she didnt. She just kinda sat there. She didnt try pecking me or anything either. I didnt want to distrub her too much so I just left her alone. Shes just over a little over 5 months old. Is this too young to go broody?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Sounds to me like your ladies are working well. Every pullet or hen is different, so anything can be "normal".
    I have always kept an egg journal and this is what I have for a few of our pullets when they first started laying:
    Our GLW laid for 3 days straight and then took 2 days off.
    The Rhode Island Red laid every other day.
    Our Partridge Rock laid every 2 days.
    Our Lakenvelder started at one egg a week and then moved to 2 days of laying, 2 days off.
    Our Jersey Black Giant laid 2 days, took a day off and then laid for 3 straight.
    The White Face Black Spanish, Delaware and Buff Orpington all laid eggs every other day.

Our earliest broody was at 6 months of age - our Jersey Black Giant; she has gone broody every 6 months since. Our Rhode Island Red has never gone broody. Believe me, you will know if your pullet or hen is broody. Just sitting on the nest isn't enough of a factor.

edited for spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by