2 Duckie questions?

DuckLover179

Waddles & Puddles
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
California
1. My duckies have diarrhea. They are eating and drinking normal, and act normal. They are 3 weeks old, is this normal?

2. Some people said plain yogurt is a good treat to give duckies, and some people mix in oats. Is this okay? Also, would it be okay to feed them regular oatmeal, you know cooked, with water???

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I can say I honestly don't know...I just wanted to give you another shot at being seen so I am posting this to get you back to the top of the chart.... hope it helps and Good Luck.

Are you sure it's diarrhoea? Duck poo can be runny and a variety of colours depending on what they've eaten.

I think they can have that as a treat, but a rare one. Cucumber chopped finely, lettuce, sweetcorn and peas are better treats to give more regularly!

Thanks for the bump! I'm pretty sure it is. It is very dark, and runny. It smells pretty bad. The only treat they get is peas, and all it does is make their poo a green color. I gave them a little bit of rolled oats, and they loved them. They sort of made their poo thicker, so it is helping. I'm feeding them Purina Flock Raiser, but I read its not good for them, because it makes them fat, and causes foot problems, so I will be going to the feed store to get some Mazuri starter.
smile.png

Hello.. My personal experience with birds with runny poops/upset tummys.. I cut back on their normal food, and give them lots of hard boiled egg . really easy to digest and protein and most natrual, works well .. I think all birds get that little problem at some point

Quote:
No, just duckling crumbles. Do they need grit when they are ducklings? Their crumbles are hard like little pebbles, and seem like grit...
hmm.png

Ducks naturally have really runny, watery poop. It just dissolves when they're out on a pond or a river like they're "supposed" to be. It doesn't get flushed away in a kiddie pool like I have, so more cleaning! Yay! /sarcasm

And dairy will make them stink more than usual, I think.

Anyway, I'd give them some grass and other veggies and things, let them doddle around in an inch of water or so, then dry them off and put them back in the brooder.
smile.png

Let them be ducks!

Truthfully, I wouldn't really worry that much about it, unless there's blood in their poop, then I'd be doing something more drastic.

Quote:
My father and his family as a kid would heat them up in the oven so they'd be dry and crumbly then feed them to their chickens. So yeah, good idea! Frugality!
old.gif

(crush them first! lol)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom