2 duckling eggs overdue.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maxdecphoenix, Oct 27, 2013.

1. maxdecphoenix

maxdecphoenix Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    Hello all,

I recently incubated 7 eggs from my Cayuga & Mallard pair. Almost 4 days ago, I noticed pipping and could hear the occasional muffled peep. Yesterday, the first two hatched early in the day, followed by 2 more that evening. 5 hours ago, #5 hatched out.

While retrieving it from the incubator, I decided to inspect the other two eggs. There were no signs of fracturing. I returned them to their positions, jacked up the humidity, and left them alone. About an hour ago, I decided to try candling them. They were all healthy and vibrant when I last candled, which was hours before I noticed the first pipping. It took a weathered eye, but I eventually saw movement, and their shells are indicative that the babes are ready. I put them back in, jacked the humidity up again, and left them.

I continued to think about it. Their candling shows a large airsac, as if the yolk has been entirely depleted, and I can make out distinct shapes of their bill. Then I began to wonder if they weren't just too weak to break out. Would you consider helping them out? Family used to raise fowls when I was a boy, so I told myself I was going to let Nature have it's way, but when I look at them moving around and their little siblings peeping and whirling around like a hurricane enjoying life in their brooder, I'm compelled to act.

5 out of 7 have already hatched out, some already a day old. This was in a forced air incubator, so I just can't see how there would have been such a disparity in temp or moisture that these two would be so undeveloped.

Would you guys consider assisting them?

Here's a video of 4 playing in brooder this afternoon, before their 5th sibling joined them.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If it were me, I would assist them. I know that many people say you shouldn't help chicks/ducklings out because they're probably too weak to live properly, but that hasn't been the case in my experience. Earlier this year, I had to completely help a bantam chick out of the egg after it pipped in the wrong end of the eggs. The chick was weak for a day or two, but is now a happy, healthy pullet that lays lots of large (for a bantam, that is) eggs.

Helping birds out the egg is a tricky process. I would first slowly peel away the large end, and then try to go further. If blood vessels begin to bleed, stop and let the egg rest for a while. Try to keep the egg warm and moist during this process.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I've had to help many out this year and it was mostly because they were shrink-wrapped and malpositioned. The positoning problems I have seen have been beak over wing and feet over head, in both instances I could not see their beaks when candling.

Here are some pictures of some:

Feet over head - Was also shrink-wrapped, this is after I moistened the membrane and made a hole for it to breathe.
    [​IMG]

Feet over head
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thought I should add how I go about assisting overdue eggs. First I candle the egg and mark the air sack with a pencil or pen. Then I pick a spot above were I think the beak might be and make a hole large enough to see if it has pipped internally. If it's overdue and hasn't pipped internally I try to figure out why... Like if it's shrink-wrapped, malpositioned or something else. If it's shrink-wrapped, I moisten the membrane and usually make a small hole for it to breathe. If there are blood vessels I stick it back in the incubator for at least 12 hours and hope for the best. After 12-24 hours I will slowly pick away more shell until the head is free, but if I find more blood I stop and back in it goes. Once the head is free I leave it alone in the incubator to do the rest.

Disclaimer: I am a novice when it comes to incubating eggs and have assisted several just to have them die, but I've also had quite a few die in the shell because I didn't assist, so go with your gut feeling.

-Kathy

5. maxdecphoenix

maxdecphoenix Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2013
    I must report back that last night I attempted some methods similar to what was described and upon noticing blood, way more than I figured should be out, I returned the egg to the incubator. Unfortunately, it has since expired. I proceeded to investigate by removing it from it's shell and found that the poor thing was not entirely developed. As best I can assume, by the size of it's umbilical region, it still needed, at minimum, another 3-5 days of incubation.

My only two guesses where that there was a temperature disparity in the incubator, which I am not entirely certain of as, 1) it was a forced air setup, 2) I shuffled the eggs about when turning/candling. or, perhaps it became infected at some time which slowed its 'gestation'.

I have decided to leave the one remaining egg alone for the time being. I am quite irritated by this and unsure why these eggs were so far behind the other 5.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry you lost the others, but how's the last one doing?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by