2 ducklings aggressively ganging up on my adult duck

So I was outside watching all the babies, and I noticed Frankie has several tiny sores/scabs on the bottom of her feet! Those weren't there on her first vet visit. The skin is different colored around them too. Is that bumblefoot?
She only tolerated spraying Microcyn on her feet. I'm concerned about leaving them until Tuesday at her appointment. I'm going to try the bucket Epson salt soak in a little bit too. I'll try to get pictures when we do this. She was very upset with my boyfriend trying to catch her since I'm not ambulatory.
Have any of you dealt with this. I feel like she's never on hard ground long. She free ranges in grass, and her run is non-slip plastic, and her coop has pine shavings. We do have a concrete patio she walks on. I never thought she'd get sores since her environment isn't rough.
I feel awful I didn't see it until now. She was just at the vet for a blood draw a week ago. I'm worried that's what is causing infection to appear on her bloodwork. I look at ask these people that have ducks, and I'm scratching my head why I'm having such bad luck with medical issues!

So I was outside watching all the babies, and I noticed Frankie has several tiny sores/scabs on the bottom of her feet! Those weren't there on her first vet visit. The skin is different colored around them too. Is that bumblefoot?
She only tolerated spraying Microcyn on her feet. I'm concerned about leaving them until Tuesday at her appointment. I'm going to try the bucket Epson salt soak in a little bit too. I'll try to get pictures when we do this. She was very upset with my boyfriend trying to catch her since I'm not ambulatory.
Have any of you dealt with this. I feel like she's never on hard ground long. She free ranges in grass, and her run is non-slip plastic, and her coop has pine shavings. We do have a concrete patio she walks on. I never thought she'd get sores since her environment isn't rough.
I feel awful I didn't see it until now. She was just at the vet for a blood draw a week ago. I'm worried that's what is causing infection to appear on her bloodwork. I look at ask these people that have ducks, and I'm scratching my head why I'm having such bad luck with medical issues!
Do you have pictures of her feet?

Don't feel bad. Bumblefoot plagues a lot of our ducks. They really should be on water most of the time, but that is just not possible. Right now where I live my soil has been extra dry and hard. The drought has made things difficult. I also have blackberry that crops up here and there that can hurt their feet. Sometimes you can only do the best you can.

Do you have pictures of her feet?

Don't feel bad. Bumblefoot plagues a lot of our ducks. They really should be on water most of the time, but that is just not possible. Right now where I live my soil has been extra dry and hard. The drought has made things difficult. I also have blackberry that crops up here and there that can hurt their feet. Sometimes you can only do the best you can.
I'll definitely get pictures when we soak her feet in a little bit.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm feeling guilty now, that I own them without a year-round big pond, since they're meant to be on the water most of the time. Even with a kiddy pool, Frankie spends most of her time foraging in the grass.

I'll definitely get pictures when we soak her feet in a little bit.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm feeling guilty now, that I own them without a year-round big pond, since they're meant to be on the water most of the time. Even with a kiddy pool, Frankie spends most of her time foraging in the grass.
They do pretty well on grass. It definitely helps reduce it. Most of mine have never gotten it. Thick layers of straw in the coop also helps. And reducing the amount they go on hard surfaces. Sometimes things just happen. One of mine stepped on an old piece of metal. I never knew the stuff was even on the property. I run a magnet over my field every now and then to make sure there isn't any more.

We soaked her feet in Epsom salt, and put more Microcyn spray on it. I don't have her booties yet (should be here tomorrow), so I'm sure the spray is a moot point right now, but better than nothing. I feel awful though. Her day is mostly on grass or non-slip plastic with minimal concrete.

Attachments

• 20220626_132652.jpg
    20220626_132652.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220619_124116.jpg
    20220619_124116.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 8
We soaked her feet in Epsom salt, and put more Microcyn spray on it. I don't have her booties yet (should be here tomorrow), so I'm sure the spray is a moot point right now, but better than nothing. I feel awful though. Her day is mostly on grass or non-slip plastic with minimal concrete.
Yeah. That looks like bumblefoot. You caught it really early. I have seen far worse. It should be pretty easy to treat that one. The pavers and the area that it looks like they sleep in at night look pretty hard on their feet. Even if they are just crossing the pavers every day, it can be too much for their feet. I don't know what your options are or willing to do, but I would consider removing the pavers going to the grass and either put down straw or shavings. I tend to lean towards straw because it is softer.

So here is my covered run. I have straw all down on the ground. I actually need to even add more, it has been breaking down. So even just dirt can be hard, so I add the straw. It also helps reduce muddy mess for me. But the grassy areas are going to be nice and soft for their feet.

PXL_20220611_161405711.jpg

Some might know my situation, but long story short I lost one of my two beautiful, sweet Cayugas, Grace. Frankie has been grieving, and so I got her 2 friends for companionship. We tried to get 2 ducks, and hopefully that's what they are, and not drakes. Regardless, they are almost 6 weeks old so I've started integrating them with Frankie (10 mo old). The ducklings gang up on her and push her around the yard aggressively. They kick her out of sharing peas in a bowl, and the kid pool. I don't know how long I should let this behavior go on, or if there is hope it'll change over time. Frankie is nothing but sweet to them, and tries so hard to be friendly. It seems like the ducklings are getting more pushy by the day.
Any advice helps, thank you.
I don't have any help but I had a similar situation. 3 chicks all raised together. One day Danny (a hen) viciously attacked Fancy (rooster). She had to go. Thankfully, I found a very good home for her where she gets a lot care but she has learned that she is not the biggest, baddest chicken out there. Good luck with your ordeal.

Yeah. That looks like bumblefoot. You caught it really early. I have seen far worse. It should be pretty easy to treat that one. The pavers and the area that it looks like they sleep in at night look pretty hard on their feet. Even if they are just crossing the pavers every day, it can be too much for their feet. I don't know what your options are or willing to do, but I would consider removing the pavers going to the grass and either put down straw or shavings. I tend to lean towards straw because it is softer.

So here is my covered run. I have straw all down on the ground. I actually need to even add more, it has been breaking down. So even just dirt can be hard, so I add the straw. It also helps reduce muddy mess for me. But the grassy areas are going to be nice and soft for their feet.

View attachment 3164228
Thank you so much. We've put a soft big mat down between the run and grass just now. I got nesting pad squares to put down as well. What kind of straw do you use? I've been hesitant ever since Grace got an upper respiratory disease. It's so hard to keep things dry that aren't in their igloo because of rain. Despite our roofing, it's impossible. The wind here doesn't help. We also have a concrete patio at the backdoor. Should I try and find a mat for that too?
I wish I lived on a lot of land with a lake/pond with a big barn to lock them in at night. Covering every inch of concrete is going to be pretty impossible with how our backyard is set up.

Back
Top Bottom