2 ducks having seizures. One started on Saturday the other started today.

Margaretgray

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Absolutely no other symptoms than one duck started yesterday at 3pm and another today at 6pm having seizures. They are 11 weeks old silver Appleyard females. I have them both inside. Didn’t find any moldy food but threw it all away just in case. We don’t use insecticide/ poisons. I have been giving activated charcoal to duck A since noon. Duck A had one every hour yesterday and this am. Once I gave her the charcoal it went to every 2 hours and now she hasn’t had a seizure since 7pm. Duck B has only
Had 2 seizures one at 6pm and one at 1am . I am giving them both the activated charcoal. Can’t find anything in their run or coop. I am at a loss.

Duck A is still having multiple seizures. Duck B has only had 3. I have given them a dose of poultry vitamins. There are no vets that see ducks.

Can you describe the seizures? It may be helpful for others that have experienced the same.
Are they shaking and flapping wings, do they fall over and cannot right themselves, etc.

Can you describe the seizures? It may be helpful for others that have experienced the same.
Are they shaking and flapping wings, do they fall over and cannot right themselves, etc.
She falls over flaps wings and her head goes back all the way.

We really need someone more experienced with seizures
@casportpony
@Pyxis
I'm sure either of these ladies have much more knowledge than most of us.

It might be worth trying liquid B complex even on duck food doesn't necessarily mean they can't have a niacin deficiency or some other nutrient deficiency. A few years ago a member had some ducklings having seizures and she tried the liquid b complex I'll see if I can find her thread.

We really need someone more experienced with seizures
@casportpony
@Pyxis
I'm sure either of these ladies have much more knowledge than most of us.

It might be worth trying liquid B complex even on duck food doesn't necessarily mean they can't have a niacin deficiency or some other nutrient deficiency. A few years ago a member had some ducklings having seizures and she tried the liquid b complex I'll see if I can find her thread.
I recently read that duck seizures can be caused from a niacin deficiency. So, I think you are right on with that advice.

Last edited:
Head is the key here. This sounds like limber neck/wry neck/Stargazing and that is probable being that you have multiple ducks with it. It's the response to not enough E/Selenium usually but can also be cause by ingest metals, or mold/other toxins.

get the goat vitamin gel from TSC feed daily GOod luck!

Back
Top Bottom