2 Eat or Not 2 Eat

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Billed2aFault, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Billed2aFault

Billed2aFault New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    So I have 11 Ducks and 4 of them are males. Well they are mating now and became aggressive toward each other and the females. I had to move the battered ones with the chickens. And now the Rouen males are picking on the buff (Arttie) thus he is separated too but is nice with the females on the other side. And my beloved Donald duck has to be a loner because he attacks the males and nearly drowns my other girls. I plan on keeping The Buff and Donald and the girls then fattening the 2 Rouens and giving them to my husband to cook.... is that good or bad? Is it worth the effort?

I raised lambs and butched them when they grew up and became sheep. Even though I want them as pets is it best to get rid of them or just keep them?

2. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    I think you should sell them. I'm sure there would be people in your area who would want them. Obviously it's your decision what you do but i think it's kinda sad to eat them. Plus, i reckon it would be easier just to sell them instead of having to keep them separately and pay to keep feeding them.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Get rid of them and enjoy a Duck dinner!
    I sure would...

Cheers!

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I don't think it is that easy to sell drakes, at least not as pets. I doubt anyone would want an aggressive drake as a pet so if you did sell them they would likely end up as dinner anyway. You might as well be the one enjoying a duck dinner since you've put in all the work. I wouldn't keep them. You don't want aggressive drakes mating with your hens and passing on those genes to their offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by