2 Eggs from 1 hen.... Please help me

Who is laying

• Ratatouille laid two eggs in less than a 24 hour time period

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both Ratatouille and Ratty Patty are layers now

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My RIR lays 2 eggs a day frequently up until late December she was still doing it even in winter! Now we get about 6 eggs a week from her but I'd expect her to ramp back up as the days get longer again.

2 eggs a day isn't totally out of the question but I'd bet you have both girls laying.

I agree eggs are good all day. Egg eater although can happen is less likely most of the time when that happens one has cracked or busted in the nest and they have gotten a taste of the egg that way first.

As for a smelly broody. As said before that should be unless an egg has gone bad and even then it would have had to be in there longer than 3 weeks a broody sits.

I agree eggs are good all day. Egg eater although can happen is less likely most of the time when that happens one has cracked or busted in the nest and they have gotten a taste of the egg that way first.

As for a smelly broody. As said before that should be unless an egg has gone bad and even then it would have had to be in there longer than 3 weeks a broody sits.

Yeah you can avoid the smell if you make sure she's getting up at least once a day to do her business because broody poop smells SO bad. If nothing else, set some food out and pick her up and put her down near it. She should be distracted long enough to realize she's got something else besides her eggs to take care of. Make sure to wear gloves just in case she's the mean kind of broody!

I think that only Ratatouille is laying because I just went out there and she was in the nest box and I found an egg under her but ratty patty was in the egg box but then waited for her to be done so that they could go eat grass if i find another egg then that would 100% mean i have 2 layers but I'll check the box again at 12

I think that only Ratatouille is laying because I just went out there and she was in the nest box and I found an egg under her but ratty patty was in the egg box but then waited for her to be done so that they could go eat grass if i find another egg then that would 100% mean i have 2 layers but I'll check the box again at 12

Apparently you can put some food coloring on their vent so that the egg gets marked on the way out. I've never done it before though so you might want to look into it if you want to try it.

Back
Top Bottom