2 eggs from first time laying pullet??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deekay04, Nov 9, 2011.

1. deekay04

deekay04 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    These 2 beauties were just laid today! I know they're from my white leghorn because they are my only white egg layers. Question is, can a pullets first lay have 2 eggs? I have 2 leghorns, but what are the chances both laid their first egg on the same day, in same box? No eggs this morning, but then these 2 in the afternoon...

[​IMG]

2. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    Any possibility that someone is pulling a practical joke?

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I'd say both girls laid their first egg on the same day. Either that or yesterday's egg was hidden in the shavings/straw of the nestbox and just came up to the surface.

The chance that your pullet laid both eggs on the same day are VERY slim.

Pretty eggs though, congratulations!

Deb

4. deekay04

Aug 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    No. My dad went out to the coop this morning to fill feed/water. Saw one leghorn in the box moving the straw around but he didn't see an egg. He had a feeling she might lay, so he went out there this afternoon and these 2 eggs were sitting in there. Shells are perfectly hard and a good size.

5. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    im sure they COULD both lay their first egg on the SAME day....and as far as them laying in the SAME box, that is normal....my chickens wait till one hen is done laying and jump in the same box
    instead of using a different box.....i swore that one chicken was laying 2 eggs at the same time!, i kept watching to see if another chicken got in the box....the second chicken must have
    been quick about it...because i never caught her in the box!....but i know they cant lay 2 at a time!!!

6. deekay04

Aug 3, 2011
    Ann Arbor
    Quote:That makes sense. It's just crazy that both leghorns laid their first egg on the same day...

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hatch mates lay first egg on the same day? Sure. Absolutely.

8. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    My leghorns started laying on the same day too (I think so anyway) but I think they also occasionally lay 2 eggs in one day (so do the golden comets)

9. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i had a five year old chicken lay 2 eggs in one day

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Yes, hens can lay two eggs in one day! If you notice the shape of the age from the hen is the same every day. Except when they first lay they get a little bigger each time they lay. Do these two eggs look identical?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by