2 eggs from one hen???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by n2h20, Apr 13, 2009.

1. n2h20

n2h20 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    she was in the nest box before our early Easter dinner.,, laid a small egg before dinner, I went out to give them all dinner scraps.. then she ate some ham and ran to her secret spot to lay another egg??? which was more her size egg,,, what the heck? didnt think id see that happen.
    how rare is that? any one else have this luck?

2. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    wow thats neat. yes it is pretty rare in my opinion are u sure it was the same hen? i have seen this happen i have one hen that does it failry regularly once a month or so. but wow i havent heard of another hen doing it in quite some time.

3. n2h20

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    positive it was her,, she was the last one to lay today of the other 3 hens,, her first egg,,,, took her for ever to lay, she sat on the nest for a good 30+ minutes,, than about an hour and a half later,, she pooped out the second one within 5 minutes of settling down.

when she is out "free ranging" she sometimes goes into an old small dog house to lay,, she is the only one that lays out of the nest and she only does it once and awhile.

4. n2h20

May 7, 2008
    Pasadena Ca
    duplicate post

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  5. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Quote:Congrats!!
    I had this happen once. It was my first two eggs if you can believe that. I was waiting for my first hen to start laying so I was checking the nesting box everyday. I went out in the afternoon and their were two small eggs in the nest. I know it was her because she was the only one that was the right age.

The funny thing is I thought my 17 yr old son was playing a trick on me because I was fanactly checking for eggs and she is an EE and I was expecting green eggs and they were brown and of course there were two of them. But her next egg was the same size, shape and color.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by