2 flocks or 1?

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
I am building a HUGE coop with my dad this year, I have two 'groups' of chickens. One flock is for eggs only and I got silkies to start raising and help improve the paint silkie. I have two silkie roosters and 4 hens. Should I split them up or should they be fine together? If they are separate I want to switch out roosters from time to time, just to get some different genes and stuff. We are building one coop separated by a storage area, and a fenced in run. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!!

I am building a HUGE coop with my dad this year, I have two 'groups' of chickens. One flock is for eggs only and I got silkies to start raising and help improve the paint silkie. I have two silkie roosters and 4 hens. Should I split them up or should they be fine together? If they are separate I want to switch out roosters from time to time, just to get some different genes and stuff. We are building one coop separated by a storage area, and a fenced in run. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!!
I am sure someone out there will shoot me down when i say this? I keep the males in there own area, and use them when you want to breed them, you just don't have enough hens to keep them from getting missed up backs if there is only 4 hens? Right?. I use 1 rooster to 10 hens, and works for me, feel free to do whatever you like. Just my advice.. I could be wrong, since i never raised silkies.. They are best Brooders out there!

I am sure someone out there will shoot me down when i say this? I keep the males in there own area, and use them when you want to breed them, you just don't have enough hens to keep them from getting missed up backs if there is only 4 hens? Right?. i have 1 rooster to 10 hens, and works for me, feel free to do whatever you like. Just my advice.. I could be wrong, since i never raised silkies.. They are best Brooders out there!
Oh yeah makes sense, I don't want to hurt any of them. I'm hoping to get more hens eventually but for now that might have to work. Thanks!!

Have you ever watched Chicken People movie? Good watch, there is a woman that shows Silkies on the movie, and its free now if you have prime Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom