2 Gaint cochins Make or Female?? Please help

cityfarmer88

Songster
7 Years
Jun 7, 2016

I've had them both for 4 weeks. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them maybe 1 or 2 weeks old they were small they had a little bit of tail and they had wing development when I first got them. I really don't know if they are male or female and I don't know what color they are??? I'm starting to think the gray one is a rooster and the black one a pulley I'm hoping for 2 girls but I'm not sure can anyone help?

Last edited:
I'd say the first one looks to be a female and the other a male. I am going by the line above the beak, the future comb. They do seem young but now is the time to give them names. Is it fair to say 'grey' and 'black'? Or gray and darker one? The black feathered cutie is male and the way they present themselves photogenically.. girl silkies are more show offish than males I had a Japanese bantam rooster once. But that's just my personal experience. Years ago. Your boy the last two photos he's saying away from the camera. Or she's just hungry if I'm wrong. Time will tell. I haven't been 100% right in my guesses on my own birds. But that's another story. Having feathered feet doesn't mean both birds are automatically girls. Did you order pullets or st run? Farm stores aren't always accurate at selling all or mostly hens.

Definitely early yet, but the one in the first pic has very pink wattles coming in so I bet that is a little cockerel... and it's color is blue, not gray... blue is a dilute of black and those 2 colors are often bred together...

So far your black looks like a pullet, but again, still early... gorgeous Cochins, btw... :)

I'd say the first one looks to be a female and the other a male. I am going by the line above the beak, the future comb. They do seem young but now is the time to give them names. Is it fair to say 'grey' and 'black'? Or gray and darker one? The black feathered cutie is male and the way they present themselves photogenically.. girl silkies are more show offish than males I had a Japanese bantam rooster once. But that's just my personal experience. Years ago. Your boy the last two photos he's saying away from the camera. Or she's just hungry if I'm wrong. Time will tell. I haven't been 100% right in my guesses on my own birds. But that's another story. Having feathered feet doesn't mean both birds are automatically girls. Did you order pullets or st run? Farm stores aren't always accurate at selling all or mostly hens.

I bought them from the feed store they were straight runs and those names are "the blue"Daisy the black which I think is a sliver laced cochin is Miss poppers

I feel like the blue one Daisy stands low to the ground like a hen but the pink that's coming in makes me nervous and the other one the sliver laced Miss poppers stands taller like a rooster but no pink coming in so I'm really confused

I feel like the blue one Daisy stands low to the ground like a hen but the pink that's coming in makes me nervous and the other one the sliver laced Miss poppers stands taller like a rooster but no pink coming in so I'm really confused

Personally, stance and attitude is not reliable for gender guesses... way more of my young pullets and even hens, will chest bump and square off just like a male would...

Obvious and bright pink before 10 weeks though is usually very reliable indicator of male hormones going into 'puberty'... males do physically mature much faster than females...

And I think you're correct, the black does look like a silver laced... :)

Personally, stance and attitude is not reliable for gender guesses... way more of my young pullets and even hens, will chest bump and square off just like a male would...

Obvious and bright pink before 10 weeks though is usually very reliable indicator of male hormones going into 'puberty'... males do physically mature much faster than females...

And I think you're correct, the black does look like a silver laced... :)

Yeah that's what I'm worried about this is my first time with cochins but anytime I've seen pink waddles or early development of the waddles I've ended up with a boy. I've had 3 so far this would be my 4th this is my first time with chickens. April 25th 2016 is when I first got my backyard chickens I've had so much fun I've just continued to get more. I've just been learning as I go.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom