2 girls? or not?

dpedroniduck

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
So I have 2 pekin ducks that are around 8 and a half weeks old and I bought them straight run from Tractor Supply Co. At first I wanted 2 boys but then I wanted a boy and a girl so they could have baby ducks :) but I'm starting to think based on their vocalizations that they're both girls which is really interesting because aren't females rarer and that why they charge you more? I've watched videos on which sounds like what but they both seems to be making more a quacking sound. Is it still too soon to tell? Depending on the answer I get I may have another question lol

So I have 2 pekin ducks that are around 8 and a half weeks old and I bought them straight run from Tractor Supply Co. At first I wanted 2 boys but then I wanted a boy and a girl so they could have baby ducks :) but I'm starting to think based on their vocalizations that they're both girls which is really interesting because aren't females rarer and that why they charge you more? I've watched videos on which sounds like what but they both seems to be making more a quacking sound. Is it still too soon to tell? Depending on the answer I get I may have another question lol
They charge more for females because more people want them more--for eggs.

okay so sorry I didn't post a video but they've gotten to the point where they are mating. However I still think they're both girls. But I'm confused because I feel like if they were both girls they wouldn't even attempt mating. anyone else had this happen?

If you zoom you can see the curled tail feathers those are drakes ducks have flat tail feathers

Attachments

• 20200717_192930.jpg
    20200717_192930.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 6
okay so sorry I didn't post a video but they've gotten to the point where they are mating. However I still think they're both girls. But I'm confused because I feel like if they were both girls they wouldn't even attempt mating. anyone else had this happen?
They aren't necessarily mating. Girls, and even drakes that haven't reached sexual maturity yet, will mount each other as a display of dominance. Even though they don't really have a pecking order, in such a small group there is usually one top duck. If they are both quacking you have girls. Also, females aren't less common than males, they are just more desirable because they lay eggs. You can also look and see if they have a few curly tail feathers. They're called drake feathers and only the boys have them

Back
Top Bottom