2 grown roosters sharing a chicken run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kamus Brazil, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Kamus Brazil

Kamus Brazil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Brazil
    Hello,

I own 9 hens and 1 rooster. I'm thinking to buy 9 more (Sussex or Brahma) and another rooster. Their area won't be a problem: it's wide and well shaded. I'm just concern about their limits. Should I fence it so the roosters won't meet each other? Or just a deer net is enough to keep them away? In last case they will still have visual contact but they won't be able to fight tho. I know a rooster can hold 8-12 hens and the one I have is taking care of all 9s. Does someone know if this is possible or if it is not recommended?
    Please comment. Thanks [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

well, depends on the rooster. I've had up to four adults living in the same coop at the same time. They figured out who was boss and that was that.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have 11 hens, and 2 roos. RIR mixes. They all live together in one coop and run. Altho mine do get to free roam daily. They scuffle once in a while...but for the most part...Mr C knows Ruby Roo is top cock. Early spring we thought we might have to rid of one or the other...because of bloody battles. They got over it in a hurry, and now get along...like brothers. Love to hate each other. LOL Oh, and they can fight through a fence. I have roos in another pen, next to the RIR, and on occasion, they scuffle through the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by